NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
My cr250 has a clutch drag when in gear and will stop the bike from idleing. I have adjusted the cable (there is only one adjustment) What is the possible answer to this? Is there a part worn out?

Thanks,
Nate

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
i read further down in the forum that it could be possible a notch in the basket, but i just took the clutch apart and there doesn't seem to be any notches anywhere in there, all surfaces are smooth. Is there another part that is worn that could cause this? Please help.

Nate

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Where exactly would the notches be? There is a sort of "whooped" texture on the part of the basket that the plates slide into and provide the lock into the basket. Is this where the notches would be? The clutch plates look like they have plenty of life left on them. I will have to measure them to make sure.

Nate

BooBoo

Dec 28, 2004
The clutch has 2 adjustments, the one that is in the cable itself and the one on the clutch perch. If you have adjusted both of these and still can't get a clutch engagement then you should move on to this. The steel/aluminum plates shouldn't wear, they can warp a little if they get too hot though. The plates that usually wear are the fiber plates in between the metal ones. This may cause the dragging but most likely the clutch would be starting to slip also,which be most noticeable in the higher gears (4th & 5th) and when you have the throttle wide open. My guess would be notching in the basket. The best way to look for that is to remove the pressure plate, it's held in by the 6 bolts that are compressing the springs. After the pressure plate is off, removed the all the clutch plates and set them in order so you don't forget how they came out. With all of that out of the way, you should have a real clear look at the fingers of the basket and of the inner hub. Any gouging in either one will cause the clutch to drag.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Ok there def seems to be notching in the fingers of the basket... would i be able to lightly file them down if it's not too horrible???, or do i definatly have to get a new basket? Sorry, but which part is the clutch perch?

Nate

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Yes, you can file but this is a temporary fix as the problem will return.

The perch is where the hand lever attaches.

Also check all the plates for warpage. If they warp the clutch action can't spread them apart enough to keep them from touching, leading to drag.

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
also, i think your bike came stock w/ aluminum plates.i prefer steel.they last a bit longer.check and see if there are grooves in the alu. plates and file down your notches down and lube the cable,you will be pleased with the results :cool:

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Thanks guys, i am going to file em down, lube my cable, if i can figure out how, and see how she runs. The clutch plates look pretty good so i don't think they are bad, i will check for warpage soon as i get home. I just bought the bike, and im going to call the dude and ask him when was the last time he changed the plates. They look pretty good tho, i highly doubt they are the stock ones, since it's a 95.

Thanks,
Nate

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Age doesn't matter, thickness and warping does.

If you don't have a service manual for it, hit E-bay (I hate it how this site blocks that word) and buy a genuine Honda manual for it. I see them on there all the time for much less than you'd get one at a dealer. Skip the Clymer, Haynes, or anything else as they blow compared to the Honda book.

Once you get the book, you'll have specs for thickness on all of them. Check 'em and replace as necessary. And start saving for a new basket.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
I have the original handbook and "competition guide" it does give me thickness's for the clutch, so i should be set there. But it doesn't go into any major engine stuff, are you talking about this manual or an actual honda shop manual other than the one i have? The only ones on **** are Clymer and hynes, i guess i'll have to wait til one pops up.

Thanks,
Nate

craig0402run

Nov 3, 2004
New basket is the way to go. I had the same problem .
Strip out the clutch & take the plates (metal & fibre ) and basket to a good dealer - they will tell you what to replace. be careful when removing the clutch basket nut - i tried to hold the basket with a piece of flat bar fixed to the threaded clutch centre lugs & snapped one off - doh!

I replaced my basket, fibres, steels (& the clutch centre) oiled the cable & my clutch is now drag free & as light as a fluid clutch. Sorted.

Top Bottom