Dirtnut

Oct 10, 2001
I would like some input on anyone that has used the cr450f in the woods. Is this a good woods bike. Or does it have the potential to be a good woods bike with some minor changes

dheard4992

Feb 25, 2001
crf woods bike

i did two enduro loops on my crf in upper michigan last weekend just trying to break in the bike.the bike was much easier to ride than my rm and i had a ball.keep in mind that i am not a great woods rider but i did let a couple of fast friends ride it and they thought it was great.the bike can be lugged or screamed and the power is always right there.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I just test rode my first CRF450R today. Compared to my WR400, I think it'd make a great woods bike. It's got great power, less mid-range hit, MUCH lighter and handles quicker.

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
Boil Over??

That's what I want to know as well. I talked with my dealer the other day and he said the bike is NOT a good woods choice. They had one running for about five minutes at an idle and it boiled over. He said Honda told them it was meant only for MX.

This is the only thing keeping me from buying one. It would be great to get some real-world experiences from someone.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Thanks for the news flash KTM033!;)
Any of todays 4strokes would work, there will be those that say it is a motox bike only and others will tell you to run it in the woods if you like! As far as the comment regarding one boiling over after idling for 5minutes..jeez, so would every other water cooled 4stroke on the market. My 426 will get warm in tight, tight stuff but won't boil over. Run the coolant about an inch below the cap and ride. If you like the bike enought to buy it, transform it into whatever makes you happy.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
I would be interested in feedback on the bikes "boiling over" tendancies. My YZ400 boiled over more than my 01 YZ426. My brothers 00 520EXC heats more readily than my 01 520EXC(more radiator capacity). My 99RM 250 heated more than my 00 250YZ. I do believe some bikes will overheat more readily in slow technical sections. With the Honda being so new it will be interesting to see if it will handle this type of riding.:think If it does, which it probably will, you know there will be a ton of them turned into enduro and trail bikes.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
A friend that rides a lot of woods with me(both of us are top B-Class riders) rode the 450 and said the suspension was plush.......keep in mind he rides a CR500 :scream:
I did not ride the 450.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Woods for sure....

Regardless of whether Honda endorses the 450 to be off-road or mx only, people WILL turn it into an effective woods weapon. The foundation for a great bike is there and thats the most important thing.

Top Bottom