rlp1

Jan 18, 2004
I've been looking at bikes to get, after I sell my 2001 YZ125. I've been riding the 125 for over a year, it was my first bike. I'm 6', 240 lbs or so, probably 255 with gear. I briefly considered a 1997 CR500R that I saw in Cycle Trader. The guy is local to me. I don't know if I'd kill myself on a 500. I'm a pretty good rider, and I've far outstripped the abilities of my 125, and I can ride my dad's 250 pretty well. I like to ride fast and pretty hard at times. I also like trails on occasion.

Am I stupid for wanting a CR500? Should I just stick with a 250 for my next bike? Would you ever suggest a CR500 to a guy my size? Thanks.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
They quit making the " open Class " bike because on closed course riders really were not much faster. A 250 class bike should move you just fine, you'll prolly want to slap in some stiffer springs, but a 500 makes a lot of power, that might not be any use unless you are in a wide open area... That being said. if you can hadle the power without crashing, and it doesn't wear you out trying to control it, go for it...

BradFrost

Jan 2, 2005
Well said Zero.
RLP I reckon you sound able to tackle the 500... simply coz you're cautious enough to raise the size as an issue. It's the blokes that don't consider a 2stroke bike of that capacity a threat that wind up in a box. You're riding experience sounds good to go with the CR if you ease into it. The only thing in favour of the 250 would be it's versatility when and if you find yourself wanting to hit kickers/ramps. Otherwise it'd be perfect for woods, enduro, moon landings :)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I rode a 125 in the late '70s and then quit. In 2002 I got my son a mini and needed a bike to chaperone. So KX500 was the perfect choice. Wasn't it? :)

My only gripe is that it's a tad tough to start. But I love the gobs of torque and insane power. Especially now that it's been bored to 520. :p

I say buy the 500.

05KX250

May 1, 2005
I started on a 50 at 6 flipped it that day stayed off bikes until about 9 and got a kx80 big wheel soon after came the 125 made a bad choice stepped to a 98 cr 500 bored .60 over race every thing it just about killed me fractured 4th vertabre broke both collar bones and some ribs not saying you shouldn't get the bike but make sure you can handle the power I know whats its like to want the baddest bike in the group but my new KX 250 makes enough power and top end for me now

vic580

May 9, 2002
Go for it if you have not already,I have owned a couple of 250's and keep going back to a 500 more for the torque than the horsepower,just respect it and you will be fine,I weight 260lbs with gear.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
My CR250 has tons of power and is crazy fast and I am about 240 in all my gear. That said, I say get the 500, I wish I had one to take to the track and woods just to scare myself and others with. Power and size is just one of those things that some of us want/crave. I have had all kinds of sport bikes and they all go fast enough to kill you, even an EX250. The last bike I had was a Hayabusa and everyone said I was crazy for even riding the thing. True it would wheelie with just the throttle at over a hundred miles an hour and still pulled strong at a buck seventy, but no one forced me to do such a thing. I could have just as easily cruzed around at 70 miles an hour but what fun is that. Get it and have fun, just watch were you pull the trigger. Atleast off road there is no cars pulling out in front of you, only them damn trees that have figured out to move. :p

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
rlp1 said:
and I've far outstripped the abilities of my 125

So you'll be hanging it out there with Alessi and the boys this weekend? :think:

rlp1

Jan 18, 2004
YZ165 said:
So you'll be hanging it out there with Alessi and the boys this weekend? :think:
Perhaps I should say my weight far outstripped them ;) . Anyways, I bought a 2001 YZ426F, I love it.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Good choice my friend! :aj: You're gonna love that bike! :cool:

Top Bottom