cr500 ignition problems, need some serious help!

Feb 18, 2005
Hi, ihave an 85 cr500r motor i have in an 85 atc 250r frame, that im having a lot of problems with. igntion problems really. I used the entire system off an 85 500r except the plug coil, which was off an 85 atc 250r. i rode it some and later blew out the stator, burnt a wire off. so i found a flywheel for the 85 ignition system. so i put that on and left the plug coil from the 85 atc 250r on it. i rode it around, and run a lot better. i went to start it the next day and it jsut backfired and now the stator dont work on that one now(85 system). Would it be blowing the stators because im using the 85 250r plug coil? im clueless bout this one. any help is appreciated! ~Jeremy

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Doesn't the 500 engine have rubber inserts on its' mounts?

I would try running a ground strap from the frame to the engine cases. I am betting that a poor or intermittant ground circuit is the cause of this stator failure habit.

The coil issue shouldn't really matter, it is either a CDI coil or it isn't(different resistance values) and as long as they both are single wire(primary 'signal wire'-grounded through coil chassis) or dual wire(again primary but grounded through wire harness) everything should be good.

Top Bottom