badnws2

Jun 27, 2002
I HAVE A CR500 WITH A STOCK PIPE AND A FMF TURBINE CORE II Q SILENCER/SPARKARRESTOR ON IT. I AM TRYING TO KEEP IT QUIET AS POSSIBLE WITH OUT KILLING THE POWER I LIKE. I HAVE READ SOME OF THE POSTS ON WRAPING THE PIPE WITH HEADER WRAP WITH SOME ADVERSE AFFECTS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF THE BIKE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE TRIED THIS ON A CR500 BEFORE AND YOUR COMMENTS ON ITS AFFECT ON THE BIKE (NOISE REDUCTION AND PERFORMANCE).

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
NOISY?
TRY TURNING THE CAPS DOWN. There that’s better.

Some mufflers are noisier than others. Perhaps another combo may be better. I assume you have repacked the present muffler with a decent proprietary muffler packing? (I find the Daytona sheet stuff is measurably quieter than roof insulation). A local manufacturer here sells end caps to just put a reversal which knocks a dB or 2 off. Not too hard to make & lets face it the stock muffler would probably be a good choice.

You can dummy a second muffler (hold it there with a rag wrapped around it) on the first to see how much is coming from other sources like the airbox or the pipe ringing. If you want to warp your pipe beware that the wrapping will cause sweating & it will rust like crazy underneath, perhaps first HPC coat it.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
cr 500's as most 2 stroke 500's have loud intake sound. with stock exhaust systems 500's have the exhaust quiet enough, but it's practically impossible to quiet the intake sound with out hurting the performance.

wardy

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
To that end check that some fool hasn’t drilled a bunch of holes in the airbox or lid & any stock snorkel is in place. Interesting fact; some of the snorkels on airboxes are a bit restrictive to quieten noise, but more often than not will flow better than ripping them off leaving a sharp edged hole.

Top Bottom