JohnF

Jul 21, 2007
ok so i just got this badass cr500, awsome machine. anyways, it runs great and all and i know its hard to kick but i got the hang of that and i know the routine of how to start it properly. i rode it all this past weekend then put it away, today i went to start it and it wont. i kicked it about 100 times and hard too. im on cr500riders forum but its kinda slow over there so id figure id ask here. it was fine now it wont start. put a new plug in, there is plenty of fresh gas, idk whats the deal. i havent changed anything since i rode it last so thats what leaves me wondering

help me out, thanks

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
you might have flooded it. did you leave the gas on while it was sitting or do you open the throttle all the way when trying to start it? try leaving your gas off while trying to start it. if that doesnt work, pull your plug and see if its soaked with gas and oil, if so clean it off real good, put it back in and try again. starting with no throttle and the choke on(make sure youve got enough gas in the carb though) kick it over, if it still doesnt start, gradually give it more and more gas the more times you kick it, only up to half throttle though. if still nothing try cleaning your plug again, and do the same steps again but this time with the choke off.

JohnF

Jul 21, 2007
yes i let it sit with the gas turned on

when i tried starting it i put the choke on and no throttle, after awhile i experimented with the throttle

right now im gunna go pull the plug off and clean it, turn the gas off, and kick it a bunch of times. then put the plug back in and see if she starts.

thanks for the help, ill post back in about 10 minutes

JohnF

Jul 21, 2007
ok, i just cleaned the plug which wasnt really wet and has never been started on. then i turned the gas off and kicked it a bunch of times to get any gas out if it was flooded. then i put the plug in kicked it a few times, then turned the gas on and kicked it some more, then i put the choke on and kicked some more, then i tried some throttle and kicked some more, then i took the choke off and just used throttle but nothing worked.

and while i had the plug out i checked spark and thats good. also its getting fuel because when i lean it on its side it comes out the overflow on the float bowl. so i got fuel, spark, and plenty of compression. what else could be wrong? im gunna try a different plug, also make sure the air filter is clean just for fun

i do know im running alittle rich though, but i dont think it would run fine before and then all the sudden not even start because of that

elvismx

Oct 8, 2000
Cruise back to the CR500 forums and read the sticky post about the "technique". Use it and a 500 will be a reliably easy starter.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
snowskater101 said:
you might have flooded it. did you leave the gas on while it was sitting or do you open the throttle all the way when trying to start it? try leaving your gas off while trying to start it. if that doesnt work, pull your plug and see if its soaked with gas and oil, if so clean it off real good, put it back in and try again. starting with no throttle and the choke on(make sure youve got enough gas in the carb though) kick it over, if it still doesnt start, gradually give it more and more gas the more times you kick it, only up to half throttle though. if still nothing try cleaning your plug again, and do the same steps again but this time with the choke off.
:cool:

Top Bottom