CR500R "how much noise is enough to worry about?"

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
As you can tell by my Log-in name, I love Honda 500's.
I am about to pruchase a 1995 Honda CR500R, from a guy. He said it has about 10 hours on it since he bouhght it a couple of years ago.
Thats all fine and dandy. But, it makes a rattling sound at idle inside the cylinder. It follows the RPM's of the engine. Its not a detonation problem, or a piston slap problem (no smoke at all from this thing at any speed. Compression is good!) so what does that leave?
Now, before you guys start with the name calling, i realize the two-stroke makes some noise, but its so hard to make a call on this noise, that Im not sure and was wondering if there are any other 500 riders who have a hint or two about what the hell this thing could be.
Ive done a top end on a 500 before so its no big deal, i just want to make sure ( or maybe there are some "sure-fire" tests i can do to narrow this sound down) that im not buying a piece of Shift!!!
Thanks
Travis Rydberg

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
It isn't a Suzuki, so it isn't normal to hear too much racket from the motor:scream:

my advice:

1. find another CR500, listen to it, compare
2. remove left side cover, wiggle flywheel up and down, shouldn't be any play
3. rotate flywheel back and forth, make sure you can't feel any slop in the rod bearings

all engines make SOME noise, it's just a matter of: what is normal?

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I have a 2000 CR-500 that sounds identical to what you describe and has since it was new, it now has around 40 hours on it and still sounds the same and runs great. After my first ride I was concerned about this and talked to the service department at my local dealer who said it was normal and the other 2000 he had sounded the same. After reading the comments here I checked the flywheel and compression which were good but I did find this comment on another message board that has me wondering:

2000 & 2001 CR500 factory defect

"If you buy one, first put bike on the intake stroke, put bike in 2nd gear then rock it back & forth, if you here tinging noise its piston slaping,at 5hr run time I pulled the head and found 40-50 thousand piston gap, should be .004.luckely the shop is trying to get factory to replace top end."

Does anybody here have any comments on this and if the test is a good one for piston slap?

Thanks

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
What???!!! Honda quality problems! :scream:

Get a KX. Motor is a rock. :D

Just kidding. I would have bought a CR500 if it weren't for the local dealer being Kawasaki (and my friend).

Since it's a 95, I really doubt it has 10 hours on it over the last 2 years, and who knows how much before that? Might just be due for a top end. What does the owner say about that noise?

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Well the owner guy is late early to mid 50's, he wanted alot of power but wanted to "putt around" which obviously this here bike wouldn't let him do.
He claims that the motor has made this noise since he got it a few years back. He tried to take a jump and the bike kicked him in the Cheeks, hurting his already ailing back.
Anyways, the 2nd gear thing sounds like it has my name on it. I will have to try it.
I have a "secret weapon"....this guy at work who had some 500's in the past and is very knowledgeable about this sort of thing; will be coming along to scope out the Big 5 tomorrow after work.
All your answers are very supportive, which is why I asked...Having more than one opinion is very helpful!!
Tune in next week, kids, as I get to the bottom of this mystery!!
Travis Rydberg

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
40-50 thou of piston clearance? uhhh, I'd have to see that one to believe it. The piston would likely shatter well before that point.

Martinm2

Aug 20, 2000
Just run it..

That's a big piston in there, they make noise, I wouldn't worry about it unless the noise starts changing drastically. My KX tends to start making power vavle noise when it starts gumming up, but I'm pretty sure you don't have a power vavle, so It's probably nothing.

If you were really worried, you could pull the head and look for scoring in the cyclinder.

Let her rip...:)

sfd927

Oct 3, 2000
I have an old CR 500 that makes a low rattle all through the rpm range. It did it when I got the bike and it does it now after a new cylinder,pistons,rings,rod,and bearings. Every thing looked good when it came apart. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
Don't laugh.....

My 95 CR500 has a lot of miles on it and every so often it will start to make that almost same noise, what I found is the exhaust springs were/are rattling... I cut some rubber hose around the springs and got rid of that noise.

Get some good gloves on and grab the pipe while its running and try to move it or shove a screwdrive on the springs and see what happens??

But it IS a big vibrating motor and things will shake :eek:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Take it from a three time CR500 owner, check your exhaust springs, radiator mounts, kick starter, pipe, silencer, anything attached to the frame or motor that could be loose. Does this sound occur when you are in gear? In neutral only? Check out the clutch also. If the bike makes power and doesn't smoke the motor is probably fine. Let us know what you find. Cheers

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Well....
I bought her!!! Yeah Baby!!! 2300 bones!!
Instead of Prozac...all I needed was a dirtbike! A running one at least!
I have heard that the big bores make this noise, including KX's.
This thing don't smoke a lick either. The gear shifter has no boot wear on it whatsoever. This thing is a time machine, and just as quick!
I plan to keep her even though she will probably be allowed into the "vintage bikes" area real soon, if you know what I mean.
And besides I figured...top ends are like poopy diapers...we all have to change them at least once in our lives!!!
Thanks for the help fellas!
Travis Rydberg

Top Bottom