BENT

Nov 28, 2000
Today my sons 01 Cr80 started running rough and then died. Now it wont restart and it has intermittent spark. Is the igintion spark pickup (black thing beside the flywheel) the issue? Anyone know testing procedure for this?

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
The problem could be the spark plug itself. My spark plug did that for a while before it completely died. The problem was that the porselen around the electrode was cracked. So you might want to look at that before you start taking more durastic measures.

BENT

Nov 28, 2000
Thanks, Red Rider 53 but I have eliminated that already. I am hoping someone will help me find out how to test the major components of the ingnition system.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Sorry, can't help you there. I am driving my dad crazy with stuff like that because I am forever over mechanicing and taking things apart in a desparate attempt to become a good mechanic. Someday...

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Before you get too carried away, carefully check the reeds. My son's CR acted the same way and after spending way too much money, the reeds were the culprit.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Evidently, the spark really isn't really intermittent. I was convinced I had an ignition problem and replaced the $tator. Nothing in my system fell into the ohm and volt specs in the Honda manual. Anyway, I finally broke down and took it to the dealer who quickly diagnosed the reeds and voila'! problem solved. I still think the spark seemed weak and intermittent, but it runs, no argument.

BENT

Nov 28, 2000
Well here’s how it turned out, I replaced each part with spares I got from a friend and when I replaced the coil I had spark. I then switched back to my original parts and I still had spark. Upon closer examination I found that the surface of the coil mount was rusty enough that the ground plate was not making good contact. Thinking back I had done a top end a few weeks ago and I washed the bike with the tank off. This probably started the corrosion process and Saturday when we were riding it was wet so it must have aggravated things. Its good to be running again.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
We just rebuitl a 2002 CR 80 and had the same problem. We had also washed the bike with the tank off. Our problem turned out to be the black connector (two wires) that are very close to the coil mount. I cleaned this connection and the spark came back to life.

BENT

Nov 28, 2000
Rcannon: Where were you a week ago? This thing got to be a little nerve racking. Seriously though it worked out well because this adverse situation has led me to more friends in this sport. I met a race dad that had a simular bike and for the use of the ignition parts I am helping him get some necessary work done on his engine. Our kids have gotten aquainted and friendships are growing. Lots of good things have come from this.
Thanks for the post Rcannon.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Bent, I thought the same thing. I remember the looking at the guy I was working on the bike with. We thinking...no way. This is not possible! We never even touched the ignition!

T 07

Troll
Mar 23, 2002
try running an NGK EV (NOT EGV), it was the only plug our 80 would produce a good spark with. We tried rewinding the stator, new plug cables... the EV sorted it

Top Bottom