woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Hey guys just picked up a 2000 cr80 from a guy I know. He says it has a recent top and bottom end rebuild as well as new electrical system. Im getting spark and fuel to the carb. And I just took out the carb and cleaned it out and adjusted the float level. But when I try to start it it will start up run for a few seconds and then dies out. Then after many more kicks it will do the same. Any Ideas?

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Vent hoses from the carb? it didnt really idle to high but hen I gave it gas it reved up fast. No I didnt clean the jets out, what the best way to do that?

ohmthis

Jan 31, 2008
Put the little red shooter straw on your can of carb cleaner. Shoot it in one direction and then the other. Do this a few times. Make sure to clean all little holes and jets.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
I like to soak the jets in either carb cleaner or clean gas and then blow them out with the air compressor. Recheck you floats, sounds like maybe you got the level set incorrectly.

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
just took the carb off rechecked floats made sure the vent hoses wernt clogged and blew out the jets. The bike fired right up idled kind of high reved nicly then after 40 to 50 seconds died. Then it kicked over again ran for 10 seconds and wouldn't fire up again. Also when it died it kind of back fired. Any ideas? I'm getting good spark but maybe its electrical? Could that sound right? Or could it have something to do with the reeds?

Last edited:

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Any thoughts on this mystery? I'm kind of stuck, I guess my next step is to see if the kill switch is malfunctioning or something. Any input would be awsome.

ohmthis

Jan 31, 2008
Curious why it needed a whole new electrical system. When the magneto was put on it could be out of time some. Do you have a manual for this bike. If not you should really get one. You can use the manual to trouble shoot the electrical as well as mechanical. Good luck!

Top Bottom