mdmader

Oct 9, 2001
My bike ran like a champ the previous weekend. However, the following week, I cleaned up the carb and filter. I put a new plug in and the thing would not fire. Decided it was time for a new top end.

Tore down my bike last night to do a top end. I noticed that my HPP valves had some small rub on them from the piston/rings. The piston and rings (Wiseco) had been worn exactly where the HPP is. I first thought that my valves may have been stuck shut but when I put a screwdriver on the actuator, they opened and closed flawlessly.

Confused by this, I took the jug down to my local Honda shop to have them meter the jug to see if it was in spec. After looking closely at the jug, they pointed out that there is a small crack in the jug between the left and right HPP.

This is on a 1991 CR250

A new jug is $430.

Question: Since this is a lined jug, can it be bored and sleeved with a cast iron sleeve with that crack? Anyone else have this problem with any success?

MM

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
1986 250r

My friend had this exact same problem with his 1986 TRX250r... Its the same motor, minus the Powervalve.

The cylinder should be replaced if it is cracked. Even though the only visible damage is at that crack, it has been abnormally stressed in other places. By reusing that jug, you are looking for trouble.

If it were to shatter, you could be looking at catastrophic engine damage. The crankshaft would be the least of your worries....

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd ship it to eric gorr! to see if it can be repared first. at least call him.

I've had jugs welded back togather a couple of times. older atc 250r's honda's. it worth a call.920-356-0741 he's majic! also he might have a used one for sale?

Top Bottom