bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Well, I blew a head gasket this weekend so decided to do a long awaited top end job. I'm glad I did. The piston had begun to crack and was just starting to score the cylinder. It was nothing that honing wouldn't fix but it was on it's way to dissaster. I'm now a believer in the exploding 220 piston "myth". You 220 guys better replace that thing while it's still cheap. ;)

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Hey BC, how many miles or hours do you think you had on yours? What kind of mods have you done? I've got a 2004 220 with only around 400 miles, but plan to change to a wiseco piston this winter. Mine has a FMF woods pipe on it.

Thanks,
Mike.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Sounds like a good plan. Mine is an '03 with maybe 400 hours on it. I've put it off for a while but I guess this head gasket was a blessing. I have most of the usual simple mods. Pipe, reeds, torque ring. No porting or carb mods.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Glad you caught it in time. I ran my stock piston for two seasons with no mods to the bike. I swapped in a wiseco when I put the woods pipe on. My stock piston was undamaged but since it is especially prone to failure with ANY mods it is cheap insurance to swap it out as soon as you can swing it, modded or not. While you have the jug off, service the kips and don't forget to support the shaft when you take off the top nut. Ride On :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
400 hours on one piston! Damn, I wish my bikes would go that long! If you do the top-end yourself, it shouldn't cost more than around....say...$150.00. That's like 38 cents an hour! Plus gas and oil and the usual stuff. Pretty cheap entertainment in my book! At 8 bucks a shot you would have spent around $1600.00 on movies!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I don't think the rest of the bike would like my riding style. If you can call it a style. More like a what not to wear episode.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I have nearly 400 hours on mine too and now you are making me nervous 8(

I am planning on replacing minee this winter in january when it is too cold to ride.

Phil

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
did the same thing on my other bike (96 RM 250)...on a whim just decided to pull top end/clean powervalve....low and behold piston had a hairline crack that was ready to implode any day....I recommend if you have high hours - pull the top end NOW - if all is well, then put it back together and ride till winter....

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
piston woes

I've got about a hundred hours on my 04' KDX 200, has anyone heard anything about this happening on them?
I hear all you guys talk about putting your bikes away for the winter, this must really suck! I am kinda ticked off because it is now November and we are still seeing tempratures in the mid to upper 80's. I ride whenever I can, rain or shine, but prefer to wait till winter to do all my heavy duty riding.
later,
Dave

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom