Cracked rear shock adjusting ring!!!!!

I was cleaning my 400 exc yesterday when something caught my attention. I saw a hairline crank on the adjusting ring near the size 6 allen key bolt. After riding around town last nite, the crack developed to a gap.:scream: Poor me:( got to spend at least a $100 on the repairs. just got the bike for a month and this happened!!!!! Suspected the dealer over tighten the adjusting ring. Is there any after market adjusting ring tat is stronger or I jus have to make sure it's tighten to 8nm of torque???

Found mine that way last weekend. None of the dealers here in Phoenix had one, but a local Race Tech guy did. $59.00 for the nut, $200.00 for the rebuild(and revalve). The suspension guy said he see's them broken all the time:( . I don't know of any aftermarket nuts, but the stock one sure is a poor design. BTW the shock revalve did wonders, superplush on single track, and stands up to the biggest g-outs I'll ever see.

I have seen new bikes on the showroom floor with the preload rings cracked.

Has anyone checked to see if the two ring set-up from an earlier year model PDS would fit? My `98 had a two ring set-up on it.

Preload ring

Been there, done that. I overtightened mine, and it split. Dealer got it covered under warranty. The bad part is the shock has to come apart to get the ring off. I would try the warranty thing if any way possible. Sent it off on Thursday, got it back in about a week and a half, no charge.
Good luck.

i went to the dealer today and they gave me a new ring reluctanly, claiming that i had over-tighten it. I insisted on the claim so they just gave it to me anyway. brought it to my friend's shop and had it fixed.:) about the two rings adjusting rings.... I'll go check if it fits. think it works better with a two ring lock anyway. no chance to break anything.:p Thanks guys. Keep those throttle twisted:cool:

Always a problem

My dealer was good enough to warn me about the fragile collar when I picked up the bike, and I have had no problems on my '00. Most likely because they didn't crank on it during initial prep.

I think they can last just fine if you are careful with the torque, but they sure are fragile.

jeb

Holeshot KTM claims the rings can be replaced without dismantling the shock. You use a large screwdriver to pry the ends apart just enough to slip it over. I've never tried this, just telling you what I read.

:think The adjuster rings (single piece) are not a "poor design" - only to those who over tighten the bolt!

Think about it - all you're trying to do is keep that ring from turning. It only takes slightly more than 'finger tight' torque for that bolt to do it's job. If you gorilla-grip it, yeah it'll break!

Also, the "old-style" two ring set up WILL fit the new shocks, but those part numbers have been discontinued by WP. I'm sure there may be a dealer out there with the parts on the shelf, but when those are gone, that's it.

Originally posted by WhiPit
:think The adjuster rings (single piece) are not a "poor design" - only to those who over tighten the bolt!

Gotta disagree, in my opinion it is an extremely poor design. It is a poorley cast piece of aluminum. There are too many points where it can fracture very easilly. Yeah, i did overtighten it, but it should not be that weak.

Bought my 2000 KTM 520sx on Mar 3, 2000.....found broken ring in late December 2000.......KTM covered under warranty.......I overtightened the allen bolt.....have used about 7lb/ft of torque and no more broken collars!

Actually, My mechanic did not take apart the shock just to get the adjusting ring in. the method jeb mentioned did work!! but u got to cut a small piece off the ring to just SQUEEZE it in. some of you might say that it might not hold the stress but I m giving it a try. See how long it lasts:D Thanks guys!!!

F.Y.I. in the owners manual, which I'm sure is the first thing we all read when we get a bike! 6lbs of torque thats all!!

"Gotta disagree, in my opinion it is an extremely poor design. It is a poorley cast piece of aluminum. "

My guess is that it is not "cast". I'm sure it's a machined extrusion. Now, it may very well be a low grade of aluminum, but the bottom line is DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT!

:D