KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
86' kdx 200

I was wondering what the chances are that my plug fouling is related to a bad crank seal. Is there a high chance I am sucking tranny fluid? That one run down the hwy at WOT seemed a little on the WHITE smoke side vs BLUE.

I moved the needle from the 3-up to the 5-up position, removed airbox cover, went one plug hotter and rode it a good 10 mins. Plug appears black but maybe I needed to run it longer. Also, I am not sure what kind of affect the clip movement would eventually have but I did expect the plug to make a difference being around 200 degrees warmer. How hot can I go, I made the move from 9 to 8, what about 7? The main jet is a 280 (orig 300) and the needle is stock. I think the jetting is fine, just a nice near-transparent blue puff out the back.

Thanks in advance
86' kdx 200

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Tranny fluid smokes white? What kind of fluid is that?

If you're pulling trans fluid in to any extent, you'll notice a drop in level IN the trans. Is that happening?

3-up/5-up? The needle clip positions are numbered from the top, 1-5. I would guess your '5-up' is position #1?

You can fairly easily tell if the plug is too hot by the appearance of the nose. I wouldn't change 2 heat range levels. In any case, mucking around with heat range changes to cover up some other problem is pretty much bass ackwards.

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
I'm running castrol 20W - 50 full syn. I think the oil might be dropping, I am about to confirm that when I change the oil. I suppose I can drive it like it is but it bothers me and I don't feel like dropping anymore greens (probably not cheap to fix). May replace it with a 4 stroke, too bad b/c it is pretty sweet.

Yes, that would be position 5.

Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Going from clip-3 to -5 is a considerably richer move. Not generally the direction you'd be going with warmer summer temps.

Why richer?

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
Ahhh well, sorry for the confusion, you're correct Canyon Carver. #1 is where the clip is at, the leanest position. Take next week off....I'm outta here.

No external leaks.

Jeff felt that it may be leaking from the carb directly into the case as a result of a faulty cutoff valve.

Back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom