petmond1

Nov 22, 2001
I was wondering if anybody could help me. I was told my crank was bad there is a groove on the 1 bearing shaft, do I have to buy 1 side and have it split & pressed back together, or is there any way it can be filled with weld or something else & then be smoothed &polished? thanks,Pete

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
I have a similar problem with my sons bike and I have been told there is a process called 'metal spray' that can fill and then be machined. Apparently this can sometimes be as expensive as a new crank half. I'm interested in the responses to this post too.

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
Hey guys. I just picked up a machine shop book on techniques and stuff like that which has the "metal spray" in it. Imho is probably right, though I cant guarantee anything, but, it's more likely easier to just replace the crank half,and have it trued by a pro. You can do it yourself, like I did, but I've got access to a shop and all. If you do it by yourself,the truing at least, make sure your dial indicator and v-blocks or stand are good, clean and accurate. Personally,I dont see the point in spending,probably, more $$$ on spraying or welding it th having it machined, when all you have to do is stop my a dealer or give them a call.

Top Bottom