slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
I have no idea what happend or why but I have about 3 inches total of travel in my rear suspension. At first I thought maybe I had destroyed the shock so thats now out and since it's out getting a nice rebuild. The suspension is still binding when you just pull up on it and it seems like it is hitting a solid stop but nothing visually is hitting. I am soaking the swing arm and shock pivot bolts in penetrating oil right now and about to tear them off but I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of what is going on. Thanks.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
if your 96 is like my 2000 the linkage bolts have to go specific ways or the rear suspension will bind.
dont know if this is your problem but its worth a look

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Sounds like the linkage bearings are seized. Since the shock is out, it's time to change the linkage bearings.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
If your bike is a 96 change everything in the rear bearing dept. Shock bearings,swingarm and linkage bearings and probably rear and frt wheel bearings/are all ready to be retired. You wont believe how much that this will improve the way that your bike will ride and handle after you do it all.

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Thanks guys, I am headed to the bike shop at lunch today to order them all.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Check out the kits Pivot Works sells. The stock bearings can cause a person to fall over dead when you find out the total cost of them.

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Found the problem, it was the fwd pivot for the shock. Bearings were shot. Everything is now back together and works like a champ. Thanks for all the help guys.

joggera148

Feb 21, 2006
nut and bolt size

i got a 2001 yz and i have the same problem wondered what socket size you used to remove the bolt that goes through part of your swingarm that is covered up by plasitc coverings to complty remove the linkage from the bike. thanks

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Just a bit of extra info on after market bearing kits. The ALL BALL'S brand usually include the lower shock bearings/seals in with their linkage kits. This saves you buying another kit when you discover that your linkage and lwr shocks bearings are all shot!

Top Bottom