rippin

Apr 21, 2001
i tried to take the pivot bolt on the swing arm out today.The manual says to take the nut off and slide it out.The problem is itwont budge.Is there a retainer or something?i Hit the bolt with a dead blow for about 15mins and it didnt even move .am i missing something here,or is it just coroded in? it moves freely up and down {the swing arm}but the bolt dont.please help. its a 96 cr125.

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Do you have weight resting on it. You are talking about the one that goes thru the frame right? I imagine you have a stand holding the bike up but maybe try to get someone to pull up the swingarm a bit so there is no pressure on the bolt. Good Luck

rippin

Apr 21, 2001
i got it out i just used a bigger hammer and a piece of metal that fit perfactly over the end of the bolt.....thanks anyway.it was all rusted and coroded in,lack of maintance from previous owner i guess........

rippin

Apr 21, 2001
yeh i know i got a tube yesterday.I have the bike stripped down to the frame for a winter project rebuilding the motor etc...looks like i will be using alot of antiseize when i put it back together. it took me and my dad almost 1/2 an hour to get the cylinder off the motor cause the studs were rusted to the cylinder...ill put it together the right way this time.....

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
You shoudl polish the rusted parts or sand them before putting things back together. Use grease on the cylinder studs too. They are a pain once they corrode.

PS, what bike are you working on?

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
If you didn't get the swingarm pivot bolt out yet try what I did. Put the nut back on by hand and then back it of about one turn then squarly hit the nut with a hammer to break it free. It is likely seized to the bearing inner races because of close tolorance and then power washing & stuff. By keeping the nut on you wont destroy the threads. As it starts to move, back the nut off and keep going one turn at a time.
Good Luck Ripper.
Stan

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Be sure to purchase a new bolt prior to assembling. The tolerances are likely to change if you try to sand the corosion off, if its as bad as you describe. Save yourself the headaches later by replacing the bearings and races also.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by bwalker
Put some anti seize on it so it doesnt happen again.
Does anti seize lasts longer than grease. I tried grease and found that sometimes it goes away after more than 6 months.

Top Bottom