JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I am interested in getting a CRF230 for dual sports (and converting it as needed). It is one of few air cooled electric start 4 strokes (under 260 lbs). I have three main questions if you don't mind:

First, is it "fairly" close to a XR250 in power?

Second, are 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears close together, or is first a granny gear and 2nd a lot higher. My son had a Yamaha RT180 and 1st gear would climb a mountain, but shifting to 2nd was like shifting from 1st to 3rd or 4th on my KTM. It was fine on flat ground, but terrible in hills, because you always had to get back to first gear at 5 mph to climb a hill.

Third- Is the suspension good enough for a 175 lb man to trail ride (not race) without bottoming out on every rut or root?

Thanks,

JCW

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
JCW,

Well, this response does not answer your questions, but you might want to also consider the Yamaha XT225 (factory dual sport) if you have not already done so. It only weighs 238 lbs. and is a capable trail bike. It can be a bit cold blooded for the first ten minutes after starting due to the factory air/fuel mixture, but after that it runs great. I am very pleased with my 2002 XT225, and am the same weight as you. By the way, I have read only good things about the CRF230. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
to answer your first question the power is close to the XR250 (it is based on the old XR200) and the gears are close between 1st and 2nd. The suspension is very soft so it is mine on trails but if you start doing any jumping at all you will want to check out BBR and get some stiffer fork springs and shock spring. It is a nice play bike but if you get very serious at all then you will out grow it soon.

Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004
I've been doing some research on a few bikes including the Honda CRF 230 and the Kawasaki KDX 200 and 220. Everyone I've spoke with, including several from this website, all rave about the KDX's. Good luck. :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Everything I have heard about the 230 leads me to believe it is a beginners bike only and you will quickly outgrow it most likely.

I have ridden with many KX and KDX bike and they are great bike for many reasons, but require constant modification as you grow in experience. Not that is bad, because there are a bunch of really good mods out there of the KDX bikes. Check out the Every Kdx Rider Should Read This! thread in Canadian Daves JustKDX forum. It will lead you to piles of information on the KDX.

My bike of choice (I bleed orange) is my 200MXC. It will do EVERYTHING I ask and is always capable of more. I have ridden everything from the open desert of Moab to the tight woods of East Texas with the 200 and it continually surprises me. I will buy KTM 200s until they drop them from the line.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Seeing that you already have a kdx200 i think you would be diappointed with the power of a crf230. I'd look for a xr400 or somthing around that size.

acold7dusta

Aug 17, 2004
yea the 230 is a great bike. gears all well spaced apart. its not a wheelie bike or mx bike by no means but what it lacks in that prospective it accels in trail riding. i rode in a tight woods in 2nd gear by accident instead of 1st and it just kept chuggin. the suspension is def. up to date wiht 9.5 in the front and 9.0 in the rear. disk brakes in the front and drums in the brake make for awesome stopping pressure esp when downshifting to create engine braking. electric start is a VERY nice feature and so is the comfort of everything. i love mine and i imagine u would too

-acold7dusta

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
First, is it "fairly" close to a XR250 in power
No, these guys are not even close.
You cannot compare they retagged XR200R now the CRF230 to an XR250.
The CRF230 is a playbike intended for trail riding.
The bigger XR is for the serious trailrider. :cool:

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
I hear that the CRF230 is heavy for what it is and it is underpowered. i would definatly go with an XR400 or 250. you would out grow the 230 or get sick of its lack of power real quick. but that is just my .02

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Really you shoudl check out the Suzuki DRZ250 - Air cooled, 4 stroke e-start and has decent suspenison and is a full size bike- I am amazed that no one really seems to know about these.

chewgravel

Aug 28, 2004
I think the CRF230 or the TTR230 would be more bike than the DRZ. Had one of thoses for a very short time. Very wimpy, IMO. I thought that it would be a nice move up trail bike, but was very disapointed in it's lack of power. And I found out resale wise, that you can't give them away:(

Top Bottom