LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
:yeehaw:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
husabutt said:
21 pounds heavier than a CR85. Thats a ton of heft for a 75Lb eleven year old.

My 95 lb. 12 year old does pretty well with his CRF 230, which feels to my back as if it's an actual TON of heft. :nod:

chris82785

Jun 8, 2003
husabutt said:
21 pounds heavier than a CR85. Thats a ton of heft for a 75Lb eleven year old.

Dunno, maybe it's heavier for a 11 year old, but it should fill a nice gap between the four stroke mini's to the 250f's that would clearly be too fast for most 13/14 year olds

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
chris1044 said:
but it should fill a nice gap between the four stroke mini's to the 250f's that would clearly be too fast for most 13/14 year olds

Not sure about that, it's hard to tell in the ride video's with a 25 y/o 150lb test rider, but I've seen many 85's haul much quicker than that thing.

250F's needed a 100% cc advantage at a similar weight to take over from the 125's, this thing weighs 21 pounds more than a CR85 and only has a 76% cc advantage.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Okiewan said:
Dealers won't be able to keep them on the floor.

Until the newness wears off. Then the complaints will begin to mount. It will be hard for a 10 year old to kick start. Dad will need to kick it. The valves won't get adjusted and it will be even harder if not impossible to kick start. In a year or two a small e-start system will be fitted in an effort ease starting. Batteries will be going dead because the need to keep it plugged into a battery Tender or Optimate III charger will be foreign and overlooked. After 3 months of sitting the battery will be fully discharged and toast. Dad will need to fork out $80 for a small Yuasa YTZ7S battery. After doing this a few times the four stroke backlash will begin. We just purchased a new 2006 YZ125 for our 13 year old instead of a 250cc four stroke for pretty much the above reasons and much lighter weight. I do predict a fourstroke backlash of sorts on the smaller bikes especially. When the counterbalancer bearing gives, timing chain stretches, valves pound into the head from lack of adjustment, that $1800.00 overhaul bill from the shop will have most thinking there must be a simpler, smaller, lighter, cheaper, more powerful motor out there. There is. It just smokes a little.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
A dirtbike motor spinning up to 14,300 rpm is going to be a maintenance nightmare...

After reading the latest issue of dirtrider on 4 stroke maintenance I've got zero interest in a high performance 4 stroke...

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
I agree with husabutt.
My kid wants one today, but I am a lot more sceptical(spelling?) about the added weight and reliability factors than he is. We have 3 more years in the 85cc class if he stays small enough and I think I'll wait at least one year to see how they are working out.
My son is only 85lbs and watching the older riders stall the bigger 4-strokes and not be able to start them is a huge concern for me. Nothing has to be more frustrating than having to kick and kick and kick, haha you get the point.
Has anyone heard a hp rating yet? We are having a supermini built and was wondering if the CRF150 is comparable to the 105cc, or is it closer to the 85cc hp.
Anyway, rambling on about nothing...lol off to Millville we go!

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
This is the perfect bike for someone like my dad who is in his late 50s, 5'6" but wants something that is more of a high performance bike than the TTR125 and CRF230/150F, plus he doesn't want to feel like he always has to wind the thing out to get it going (like an 85 big wheel) and beable to climb hills a little easier/slower. The other nice thing is that when my dad gets one, my wife can borrow this instead of buying her a lame CRF/TTR 125/150 that is super heavy and not very exciting. This is also a perfect bike for people to start to transition to big 4ts (4T are NOT going away, no matter how bad you want them too, believe me, I was in that boat before too).

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
rodH said:
This is the perfect bike for someone like my dad who is in his late 50s, 5'6" but wants something that is more of a high performance bike than the TTR125 and CRF230/150F, plus he doesn't want to feel like he always has to wind the thing out to get it going (like an 85 big wheel) and beable to climb hills a little easier/slower.

Maybe. Maybe not. Lets take a look at the Bore/Stroke dimensions and see what we can see:

The CRF150F is 57.3 x 57.8 Almost perfectly square. A proven design that makes good, as we know it, four stroke type of power. Torquey and will not rev to the moon.

Now the CRF150R. 66mm x 43.7

This bike has screamer written all over it. It will make its power by turning high RPM's. This is not a torque motor. Have your dad try one before he buy's one.

My pediction is that it will be quite soft off the bottom but will scream like a Banshee. Making it a good off road bike will require a longer stroke. There may be better choices out there for your dad.

In a drag race it will probably beat an 85cc two stroke due to the comparatively huge size motor. On a track with tight turns and huge jumps perhaps not.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
It should be noted that, if I understand correctly, this bike IS NOT LEGAL to compete in the 85cc class, according to current AMA rules. I believe I read that the way the rules are written, 125 cc is the maximum allowable displacement for 4 strokes.

I hope someone out there can confirm or correct me on this, please. I personally think a 125 4t is plenty of displacement advantage. Of course I feel 200 cc and 400cc would have been the more prudent sizes to compete with the 125 & 250 cc 2t, as well. :nod:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
husabutt said:
Maybe. Maybe not. Lets take a look at the Bore/Stroke dimensions and see what we can see:

The CRF150F is 57.3 x 57.8 Almost perfectly square. A proven design that makes good, as we know it, four stroke type of power. Torquey and will not rev to the moon.

Now the CRF150R. 66mm x 43.7

This bike has screamer written all over it. It will make its power by turning high RPM's. This is not a torque motor. Have your dad try one before he buy's one.

My pediction is that it will be quite soft off the bottom but will scream like a Banshee. Making it a good off road bike will require a longer stroke. There may be better choices out there for your dad.

In a drag race it will probably beat an 85cc two stroke due to the comparatively huge size motor. On a track with tight turns and huge jumps perhaps not.

I was speaking when comparing to the 85cc, they have NO torque. The CRF150F is a dog, there is more to the equation than just bore and stroke when determining torque or HP, I am willing to bet that the R has more torque and a TON more HP than the F. Are you really comparing the F and the R?? By the EXACT same logic you are saying the 230F has more torque than a 250R. The 230 is a joke compared to the 250.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
rodH said:
I was speaking when comparing to the 85cc, they have NO torque. The CRF150F is a dog, there is more to the equation than just bore and stroke when determining torque or HP, I am willing to bet that the R has more torque and a TON more HP than the F. Are you really comparing the F and the R?? By the EXACT same logic you are saying the 230F has more torque than a 250R. The 230 is a joke compared to the 250.

I was merely using the CRF150F's Bore and stroke as an example of what a "square" motor is. I could have just as easily substituted a TTR125 for the CRF150F. I did not mean that the CRF150F will produce more torque than the CRF150R by virtue of its very square motor configuration. I agree that the "R" model will no doubt be be more powerful than the "F" in all areas as the "F" is in a very mild state or tune. It is interesting though that Honda chose to use an over square bore/stroke configuration which favors high RPM power and not low end torque. It will also be an expensive motor to increase displacement for more power as stroking is more expensive than boring.

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
I talked to the guys from Trimble Honda based in MN. I was told this bike will have a hp rating of 28, but on Thumpertalk someone said it is only producing 22-23. To many speculations yet.

Oct 5-6 is the date of the AMA meetings. We should know shortly after that.

side note-- Honda will not be offering any 2 stroke bikes after 2007!
This bike better be good, we still have 3 years left on minis and my kid doesn't want to ride a different brand. I will most likely buy one, but I will wait until 2008 to do it.

Last edited:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
your too big pred LOL
you need a JR for you , and a 150r for lil' pred

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Is that 4200.00 list??
I stopped at a Dealer here in Tuscon this morning to check them out. He is getting 5K for the little wheel "R" and over 5k for the Expert model..

Looks like Luke is out of luck at those prices. :yell:
(although the sales person sure didnt sound like he knew what he was talking about anyway.)

Top Bottom