Service Intervals for the CRF150R

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Service Intervals for the CRF150R direct from Honda

These are the service intervals Honda is recommending for the new CRF150R engine.

Valve clearance check - After the break in ride and every 6 races or 15 hours after that. No specific interval on valve or valve spring replacement. We'll be tracking that out here. It should be interesting to see how well the steel valves hold up. I'll be using a high end Rimac spring tester to watch the rate at which the valve springs lose their pressure. This gives a good indication of the spring quality and relative severity of the cam dynamics.

Piston, rings, piston pin - Replace every 6 races or 15 hours. It's a single compression ring slipper skirt piston similar to the CRF250F. It's running clearance (piston to wall) is tight at 0.0006"- 0.0015" , and the upper limit on clearance is 0.003". This is a REAL race engine, it's not a trail bike so "cheating" on the piston maintenance won't be easy.

The cylinder head is built like the CRF450 and uses a separate cartridge type carrier for the cam, and a bolt on cam sprocket. That's great from a maintenance and cost standpoint if a head ever has to be replaced. It also makes shimming the valves much simpler.
The bolt on cam sprocket opens up a whole range of cheap tuning opportunities. :cool: It uses standard bucket lifters on the intake, and a pair of offset roller rockers for the exhaust.

The engine holds a fairly generous amount of oil considering the size of the engine. It uses the now standard CRF split between engine and trans holding 0.70 liter on the engine side and 0.65 on the transmission side. Good move on Honda's part.

Cam timing seems fairly mild considering the power peak (reportedly 12,500), but I haven't measured the valve acceleration rates yet so these numbers could be a bit deceiving.

IVO 15 BTDC @ 1mm lift
IVC 48 ABDC @ 1mm lift
EVO 50 BBDC @ 1mm lift
EVC 25 ATDC @ 1mm lift

With the help of Service Honda I'll be tearing an engine apart to take a much closer look at the cam dynamics, the flow potential of the cylinder head and a few other tuning areas. I'll be going through an entire engine and essentially blueprinting it and documenting the initial maintenance quirks and anything else that looks interesting.

We'll have lots of nice clear pictures and tons of details, so stay tuned.

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Thanks for your efforts, Rich.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
No problem Vic. This should be fun. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rich, any confirmation that the Honda site was accurate and this bike does in fact come with a 6 month warranty? I can't see it personally but the site was pretty clear on it when the bike information was originally released. I just checked the Honda site and that info is now gone from the specs page so I guess it was somebodies mistake at Honda.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili - I haven't gotten the paperwork for my bike yet so I can't say for sure.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm guessing it was some suits error. It was on the site and caused a stir when the bike was originally announced. Most argued folks were mistaking the warranty from the 150F trail bike so I double checked and it was clearly the R. It's gone now so I think it was a simply a mistake.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks for all the info, I am trying to find out all I can about this bike. My son is all hot to get one. He runs minis in the gncc and they are not sure of the class they can compete in yet. What will the availably be? No dealers have it yet in my area. Just wondering if I need to snatch up the first one I see or will they be easily had in 2 or 3 months from now.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Service Honda in Indiana will have a bunch of them any day now. They should be hitting the South/East soon as well. They are all over the place on the West Coast.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
How's that #420 chain going to work out? No longer than they last on my 85 and my modified xr 80 seems like they would have went with a #428 at lease.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for the info Rich. :cool:

I've already ordered my junior watch repairmans kit complete with magnifying glass and tweezers for installing the valve spring keepers. :whoa: ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
Thanks for the info Rich. :cool:

I've already ordered my junior watch repairmans kit complete with magnifying glass and tweezers for installing the valve spring keepers. :whoa: ;)

LOL< I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing I'll have to modify all my special tools to work on these small parts. :whoa:

Top Bottom