kkw_archer

Jan 17, 2005
I am looking in to getting back into riding. My wife and I will be riding together and she will be getting a CRF230. I have thought about getting the same bike, but have sat on and really liked the feel of an XR250. I know nothing about the power of either of these bikes and am needing some advice.

Below is the requested info:
1. HT 5'11", WT 175pds
2. Not overly agressive but I do not like to be held back.
3. I will be riding mainly on trails, some in the mountains (Arkansas).
4. I have not ridden a motorcycle since I was 14 (I am 31 now). The last bike I rode was a Suzuki TS185J-Sierra.
5. I do not plan to race.
6. I am mechanically challenged, I tear up more than I fix.
7. I do not have a preference on brand.
8. I have axcess to all brands.
9. I would like to spend around $3500.
10. I would also like to someday modify my bike or at least be able to easily trade up to a bike that is street legal.

My main concerns are power and reliability.

Thanks for your help.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Hi mate

i had an XR250 for a starting bike and it was great. I still use it to ride up the rugged mountains of the falkland islands and it has enough power for that with it being lightweight enough. It is 100% reliable as i've never had it break down or had to perform any major mechanics to it. I once went away for 5 months and it still started on the first kick. Mine is road legal with lights etc.
good luck with your choice

Zoran

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
KKW

At your height, I think you will find a CRF230 to low of seat height (about 34"). The XR comes in at 36".

I am in the process of selecting a next bike for my son who is only 5'6". I have sorta (not 100%) landed on the KDX 200 or 220. Reason is seat height will work (36" as well), reliable 2 stroke motor, much lighter weight.

I liked the 4 strokes like the XR TTR250 for the sake of their mellow power delivery (my son is not that agressive either), but the KDX in stock trim is rather mellow and controllable, and easy to modify to spice it up as his skills improve. The final deciding factor however was weight . I realize the WR250 now is comparable weight to KDX, or darn close, but it's seat height rules it out, as well as price to get into a easy starting version (ie e-button) was higher as only more recent models have the magic button.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You are the perfect size for a XR250. I'm 5'11" and #205 and it has no problem moving me around (disclaimer: mine is slightly modified). They are rock solid bikes and will meet your needs for low maintenance fun plus if your wife goes with the 230 you don't have two gas cans to mess with and one stop shopping at the house of red. I've ridden several totally stock XR250's and feel it would work just fine for me. The hop up potential of them is also quite good (mine rips!) while they still stay quite reliable. An added bonus is that they are air cooled so less stuff to bend, break or leak when you go down. If you manage to change the spark plug once a year and the oil every 10 hours it will be better maintenance than most of these bikes ever see and they still last almost forever.

kkw_archer

Jan 17, 2005
New option

Well, today I was thrown another option. I found an '04 DRZ 650 with 385 miles on it for $4000.

What are your thoughts on this bike, will it be too cumbersome and heavy for trail riding, or does it handle them pretty well?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, the DRZ650 is too heavy for tight trail riding, but it would make a better road bike.

The DRZ400 is a much better offroad bike than the 650. The DRZ400-S version is street legal, electric start and heavier. The dirt version was initially offered with or without the e-start, but I think most are e-start.

Another bike you may want to consider is the KLX300.

kkw_archer

Jan 17, 2005
Looks like its going to be the XR250

Well, I think that I will be getting myself an XR250 this weekend. One final question, does anyone know what speed these bikes can maintain? The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if in the future I can get an enduro kit and make it street legal. I don't plan to do much highway riding, mabye 5-6 miles at a time, most of what I want to do is go down county roads and Farm to Market roads where the speed limit is still 55.

Thanks again.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Hi mate

Good choice by the way with the XR. You will beable to do 55mph easy on the 250. my bike got up to 120kph numerous times but my speedo is now broke so i don't how fast i go.
what year is your bike by the way?
good luck

cheers

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
I have a 230F, and recently rode on an 250XR. the 250XR has two cylinders, two exhaust outlets, and so forth. It's a top heavy bike, but there's quite a bit of torque. The 230F IMO revs out faster than the 250xr, and 230F's updated frame has a more balanced on center feel. You can steer the bike standing up really effortlessly, whereas the 250xr hardly budged when lightly pushing the tank w/ the knees standing up. More effort is required to lean it, but not that drastic.

Kitckstarting the 250Xr is effortless, so imo, anyone can start it. You cannot slide up and sit on the gas tank w/ the 250xr; it's easily done on the 230f to get more weight onto the front wheel for powering around berms and rear wheel turning (fishtail). But, the Xr250 has a larger gas tank, so this makes the 250 a better long distance ride. With that, and the extra capacity oil reservoir inside the frame, this bike is better suited for road use. As such, it'll be a heavier bike than the 230F...two pistons, two set of valves, two cams, two cam chains, etc...

IIRC, the 250xr has an adjustable damping rear shock, whereas the 230F does not, except for spring height adjustment.

For dual sport, the 250xr has the advantage, thats for sure. two cylinders also make the ride smoother, but gas mileage is not as great as a single cylinder engine. Since your wife's getting a 230F, I think you'd want something different. Just don't be too surprised that her 203F may be just as perfect for you as it is for her.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
jeddclampette said:
the 250XR has two cylinders, two exhaust outlets, and so forth.

You have been mis-informed buddy an xr250 is a single cylinder engine. It does have two pipes comeing from it but it is still a single cylinder engine. As far as I know all of the xr models have single cylinder engines.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
what XR250 models have two cylinders? I know someone whos got a 2003 model with one cylinder and so has my 94. they do however have to exhaust outlets but that doesnt mean it has two cylinders.

Top Bottom