Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
I just bought a 2005 CRF250. The previous owner bought it new, said he didn't ride it that much due to injuries, etc. He raced it in C class a couple times. Said he kept valves in spec, frequent oil changes, cleaned air filter every ride, etc.

How important is it for me to replace the top end? If the piston/rings are old, what damage could it do? or will it just be robbing power?

Some people are telling me to replace it right away, and some say to ride it a couple good times, and see how it runs.

Please help, thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If everything is within spec, you shouldn't have to replace it.

If there are signs that the bike wasn't taken care of as he claims, then maybe it would be a good idea to tear into it and have a look. Most you'd be out is some gaskets.

If you have a pile of cash eating away at the bottom of your pockets, go for it. Just start replacing parts.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
I would have to say with any purchase of a used machine some in depth inspection is in order.

As mentioned before as long as you have the know how and equipment to check everything the worst you'll be out is a set of gaskets!!

my two cents! :)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I see you're from Wisconsin, Midwest Action Cycle sells OEM parts for a very good price. You might want to check it out. A new piston and ring set is probably cheaper than you think.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Thanks trial_07. That website has some really great prices!

thanks for the other advice to. I'll take a look at it, i have at least another month of all this snow :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the valves are in spec, then see what stock is and determine how many shim sizes have worn. And the rings may have hit the service limit at 15 hours, though they tend to run a lot longer, good or bad? If you go ahead and freshen it up now, you know where you are at and can put way better parts in.

Top Bottom