GrampsXR

Sep 21, 2012
I bought a well preserved 1984 Honda XR350 two weeks ago. Someone had robbed everything off the handlebars but otherwise the bike was complete. I got it for $400. The previous owner said it ran great when he put it up. He took the time to drain the fuel and kept it in great condition so I tend to believe him. I thought it was a steal even though I couldn't hear it run. I've found all the parts I needed and everything is installed except the throttle cables. I'm a little confused about the push/pull cable setup. Can someone fill me in on how it works and which cable goes where? I also bought a service manual but its lacking in the info I need.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You really don't need to run both cables. Many XR owners just use the pull cable. (The one with the extra lock nut on it.) The pull cable goes from the bottom hole on the throttle to the top of the carb bellcrank. The carbs have a strong return spring and the return cable is not necessary. If you have both cables, tape the return cable to the pull cable but don't hook it up. This spare return cable will work as a pull cable if you break the pull cable out on the trail. It will get you back to your truck.
Good luck. :cool:

Top Bottom