CRF250R air filters and backfire screens

billsafishing

Feb 17, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knew if you cut the backfire screen out of the plastic air filter cage on a CRF250, if it would be okay to run the stock air filter instead of buying a Twin Air backfire retardent air filter. Also is there any performance gains? :bang: :clue:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
billsafishing said:
I was wondering if anyone knew if you cut the backfire screen out of the plastic air filter cage on a CRF250, if it would be okay to run the stock air filter instead of buying a Twin Air backfire retardent air filter.

That would be a really bad idea. Backfires through the carb can easily ignite the air filter.

Also is there any performance gains?

I haven't seen any valid data to support the claims people make about performance increases. On the CRF450 , the YZF4xx models and the YZF250, proper testing has shown no real performance increases from cutting out the screen, and the chances are good that the CRF250 is the same.

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
rich,

I'm running a twin air power flow kit that eliminates the stock backfire screen. Twinair claims the inside of the air filter is laminated to resist fire. Is this an accurate claim? Should I be using the stock setup?

Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
As long as you are running the Twin Air fire retardent filter it's not a problem.

billsafishing

Feb 17, 2004
okay, the next question is if the filter is fire retardent, can the oil that is put on the filter have a chance of catching on fire or is there an oil that is not flammable that twin air makes or anyone else might make for that matter?

billsafishing

Feb 17, 2004
parkerCR said:
rich,

I'm running a twin air power flow kit that eliminates the stock backfire screen. Twinair claims the inside of the air filter is laminated to resist fire. Is this an accurate claim? Should I be using the stock setup?

Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
billsafishing said:
Rich can you notice any difference with the twin air?,

There is no power difference with the TwinAir filter, it's just a well made filter that will hold up longer than the OEM filter.

and have you heard of power now or have you tried one?

Don't waste your money on that useless crap.

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
My .02 on the subject.... Like Rich said above. You won't notice performance gains out of an aftermarket filter because they are not going to signifigantly increase air flow. To the factories the air filter is a place they can cut cost. They use less dense foams and materials so their air flow is really good but they also have a higher probability that contamination can get through which can be devestating. The quality aftermarket filter companies don't cut cost, they use better foams (read more expensive) and better adhesives. So they are going to offer as good or better air flow than OEM, they will last longer and most importantly they will reduce the probability of contamination getting by. This is a good subject for me as I have been reasearching this for the last few months because BillyWho will be releasing a top quality air filter within the next few months. We will be marketing it for what it is... It will offer as good or better air flow than OEM, they will last longer and most importantly they will reduce the probability of contamination getting by. And they will be cheaper than OEM or aftermarket.

If you want more power from the intake system make sure it is jetted properly, if you want to take precautions to maximize engine life, get a good filter.

Rich, you wanna flow test some filters?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
My stock filter and what oil they do put on from the dealer seemed to restrict the air flow. The filter was fine but the oil looked more like grease throughout the entire filter. I cleaned it off, completely, and then applied my own filter oil and it at least looked better.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thump said:
Rich, you wanna flow test some filters?

I already did a ton of flow bench and track testing in 1998 on air filters from Yamaha, WB, Uni and Twin Air.

Final conclusion, no real power or airflow differences between them if they are cleaned oiled properly. The TwinAir seems to be the best made and most rugged, and has come to be my favorite as a result.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
I already did a ton of flow bench and track testing in 1998 on air filters from Yamaha, WB, Uni and Twin Air.

Final conclusion, no real power or airflow differences between them if they are cleaned oiled properly. The TwinAir seems to be the best made and most rugged, and has come to be my favorite as a result.

Rich, your just trying to be our friend so you get free filters for life :laugh:...Elk's cut

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
BillyWho said:
Rich, your just trying to be our friend so you get free filters for life :laugh:...Elk's cut

My real point was. Air filters are NOT really worth testing in the traditional sense because all the name brand versions provide the same power levels, marketing foof not withstanding. ;)

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Whoa Breaker Boy, what the heck man, I'm your bud, I let you sit on my bike. I run straight air anyway, pffft on the filters.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I just bought a twin air for my cr450,and from the looks of it the original filter is better quality than the twin air with it's rubber sealing ring.Not sure if it will last as long as the twin air.Time will tell.

Top Bottom