Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
It is light... really light. By comparision to my YZ250F it feels like a minibike. Brakes are fantastic. Corners like it is on rails adn it looks cool as Hell.

The feel of the bike. It has a much better seat than my CRF450, it is harder, which is good IMO. I felt slightly cramped on the bike. At 6'1" 220lbs I think it could use a tall seat, some clamps to move the bars forward and possibly some low pegs, the bike just felt a little small to me. suspension was stiff even for me but it needs to be broken in...

Power was the most suprising. It has a very soft low end where the YZ250F has a stronger pull off bottom. But once you hit about 3500 RPM it is a rocket. It has almost a 2 stroke type hit and when you are in the sweet spot (which seemed to be from 3500- to the Rev limiter) it is responsive, almost twitchy. On a long loamy WFO track the CRF250 was a bit under powered, as is my YZ250F, no real suprise. Wide, deep whoops were a challenge to keep the front up through them. And there is considerably more compression braking than either my CRF450 or my YZ250F, which I like but you have to stay on the gas or you stop.

Overall, the bike is incredible but more suited to not so loamy conditions (the track had literally about 8-10 inches of loam EVERYWHERE) A few minor ergo changes and get soem more power out of the lowend and this bike will rock!

YZ250F is for sale. :aj:

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Originally posted by Thump
And there is considerably more compression braking than either my CRF450 or my YZ250F, which I like but you have to stay on the gas or you stop.

Really? I thought the engine braking was almost non-existent. I also thought that most people felt the CRF250 had the least amount of engine braking compared to the other 4-strokes. But then again I haven't ridden any of the other 4-strokes.

But I'm glad you like your new toy! Welcome to the club! :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I rode a CRF250 and it was a blast. It was hands down superior to my 01 YZ250F in all ways except low end power.

I dare say the suspension was much better stock on the CRF than my modified YZF 250 suspension.

Ivan

mconnell

Dec 1, 2002
I got a chance to ride a new CR250F yesterday. It belongs to a friend and has about 20 hours on it so it is broken in pretty well. I had much the same impressions as you. I've ridden a couple of CR450's and I too noticed the increased amount of compression braking on the 250. I loved the ergos of the bike. I am 5'8" and weigh 150 so it fit me really well.

I own and mostly ride a KTM 200 MXC which is pretty fast little bike. In comparison, the 250F felt a little weaker than the KTM on bottom and through the mid-range, but I though the top end power was very similar. Either bike will destroy a 125 on a loamy track.

The rear suspension on the CR had kind of a dead feel, but I think that's because I'm used to the KTM PDS rear shock which is kind of bouncy. As with any of the newer CR's, the forks were incredible.

The CR ran flawlessly and I could throw it around like a minibike. It seems to have a little lower seat height than my 200, so it gave me lots of confidence in the turns.

I love my KTM, but my next bike will likely be red. Honda's nailed this one!!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
HOLY MOSSES BATMAN... I just rode the CRF250 on a hard pack rough track.... It was phenominal. The suspension is still way too stiff but man the power is insane on blue groove. I was riding the entire track in 3rd, clutching in the corners and winding it out on the fast sections. I started shifting into 4th on some of the jumps and faster sections and that works better for me. The bike jumps dramatically different a gear higher even at the same speed.

Yogurt and anyone else that has a new 250F, try hitting a good sized jump you know well in 3rd high up in the RPM a few times then go back and force yourself to short shift into 4th gear and hit it. The motor will chug and sound like you are nt going to make it but just keep the throttle on, fan the clutch a few times and launch... the characteristics in the air are night and day.

Honda nailed this one. The bike rocks! Still has a lot of compression braking though.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Originally posted by srellis
What does Sarah say about it compared to the YZF?
Susan

So??!!! How does Sarah like it? Have you been off it long enough for her to ride it yet? ;)

Still waiting for the CRF250X

Susan

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by srellis

So??!!! How does Sarah like it? Have you been off it long enough for her to ride it yet? ;)

Still waiting for the CRF250X

Susan

She has been pretty busy and not been able to get on here but the short story is she LOVES it. She said the seat is a little lower and the bike is dramatically lighter. Easier to start of course and WAY better brakes.She is a pretty novice rider and said the low end felt weaker than the YZF. I hope she is ready for the power when she finally gets it up in the RPM range because it has an almost 2-stroke hit.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
One last thing... check ALL pady panel bolts. ie. the radiator shroud bolts, seat bolts and side panel bolts. They come loose fast and they have those special litle insert washers that get lost. I am missing a radiator shroud bolt as a result of today and have to put a bolt that does not look like it goes there.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'd add that Sarah mentioned the CRF turns a LOT better than the YZF ... said she has a lot more confidence laying it over.

I had only a few laps on it; think Thump is on the money on his impressions. In a deep loamy track, the 250 is a lot more work than the 450 (obviously), I had a hard time getting used to it, gave up and got back on the ultimate lazy-man's bike :) I don't like using the clutch or being concerned about what gear I'm in LOL.

Compression braking IS there, more so than the 450 IMHO and as much or more than my YZF (262 with increased compression).

The bike is small! Narrow! Light! Feels tiny compared to the YZF. Turns TONS better. I guessed when we rode it at Nocona (DEEP loam/sand) it would rock on hard pack as Thump said it did. IMHO the key is to ride it like a two stroke, not like a YZF.

Top Bottom