tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I have been running the honda HP4 in both my engine and transmission since i purchased my crf450 in 03. My local source has dried up and my local parts guy is suggesting that i run Spectro Golden 4 Offroad 10w40 in the engine and Spectro Golden Gear Lube SAE80 in the transmission. The engine oil suggestion appears to match the specs of the HP4. While, the crf shop manual suggests 10w40 in the transmission, yet the SAE80 packaging states "recommended for wet-clutch transmission cases where an SAE 10w30, 10w40 or an SAE80w gear oil is recommended." So what's up? is it actually better to run the 80 weight oil in the transmission as my local guy says? Price does not matter as they are the same -- just want to use what will make the bike last the longest with least amount of work on my part...

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I just run 10w40 in both instances in my 04CRF. Unfortunately I've got nothing but an anecdotal "It's worked so far", to support my decision.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I dont know if its taboo to link to another mx site or not, but this is the best write up of what 4stroke oil to use that I've found.

secret world of four stroke oil

Q: HOW IS A CRF LIKE A CAR?

A: The Honda CRF250 and CRF450 oil system separates the combustion side of the engine from the transmission. The CRF separates the engine sump to keep the metal shavings from the transmission from floating around in the same oil that is used to lubricate the piston, rings, and rod and crank bearings.

The upside of this design is that the CRF can use a slipperier JASO MB-spec oil in the top-end, while using a JASO MA-spec oil in the transmission.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
In my Y05 CRF450R I use non synthetic 10W40 for clutch
and 10w40 synthetic for the piston.

I change it every 2-3 rides.
I purchase the Walmart brand oil since
its priced very good. Fresh clean oil is always
good - cheap or expensive. And since I change
it frequently I use the cheaper brand (Walmart).
Cheaper brand is still expensive.

when my engine was torn down at 70hrs, the valves
were still good and the compression was still good
according to my mechanic. I changed the hardware
(Piston/valves) to avoid fatigue failure.
Bike always runs strong.

Spokes574

joey450

Jul 14, 2007
tnrider said:
I have been running the honda HP4 in both my engine and transmission since i purchased my crf450 in 03. My local source has dried up and my local parts guy is suggesting that i run Spectro Golden 4 Offroad 10w40 in the engine and Spectro Golden Gear Lube SAE80 in the transmission. The engine oil suggestion appears to match the specs of the HP4. While, the crf shop manual suggests 10w40 in the transmission, yet the SAE80 packaging states "recommended for wet-clutch transmission cases where an SAE 10w30, 10w40 or an SAE80w gear oil is recommended." So what's up? is it actually better to run the 80 weight oil in the transmission as my local guy says? Price does not matter as they are the same -- just want to use what will make the bike last the longest with least amount of work on my part...

Ihave a 06 450r and i also use HONDA HP4 in both the engine and transmission and have not had any problems, i have the same concerns of which is best.

1989kx250

Mar 17, 2006
i run valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil 20w-50 in both sides, i am new to these 4-stroke MXers... is that allright or am i making a serious mistake??? Oh, I have rode many 250 2strokes and 125's and all sorts of bikes, and this 450 is just a powerhouse... makes me drool, if it isnt the best 4-stroke Mxer, i am almost scared to see which one is.

B

biglou

Which brand? Which year? I would think as long as the oil weight is correct according to the manual, it would be fine.

Top Bottom