Og85

Mar 30, 2002
well i rode a XR400 and then a CRF450! i liked the CRF450 much better and i was wondering which would better for me a CRF450 or a cr250? i plan to ride mostly on trail and race a little. i am 6'2 about 160 and yes this will be my frist bike!

THANKS JAMIE

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
Well, Richy Rich, neither of these fine motorcross weapons are good for a beginer. I suggest, well I dunno, maybe a nice little PW50, I personally like the XR50 myself.
LEARN how to do some simple things first, ya know- like where the brakes are, how to clutch the bike when starting out, shifting, stuff like that.
Gees, what would your second bike be after you trashed this one?! :|

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Hate to burst your bubble Og85, but for your first bike it all depends on your previous experience. For the most part of course the CRF is faster in a straight line then a XR400, but we are talking worlds apart here. Motorcross and Trail bike. The XR is ten-times MORE user freindly besides a whole lot less expensive to purchase. A really good first bike (that IS capable of winning races with minor tuning) is a DRZ400e. A little more balls then a XR400, but is equipped with a E-start. And about 2str's, they are matinence pigs that need constant care (not that 4str are immune to matienece every few rides, either) but part of a 2str matienece is a top-end rebuild every year (yea, you Could push it longer, but you'll risk trashin' the top-end or just suffer BAD performance). MX 2str's are what I feel are for a more experienced rider(I myself have ridden straight for six years now, and have competed for a year in Enduros and Scrambles). I had mutiple bikes Before I was ready to RIDE the 2-stroker the way it was meant to be ridden. Get what you want, but remeber that motorcycling is like baby steps...You WILL out-grow your first bike, and don't feel you need a rocket ship for your first bike, it'll be some time before your ready to make the transition from Walking to running.

Og85

Mar 30, 2002
well i have always started out on rocket ships! my frist quad was a raptor 660 and my frist jetski was a ultra 150(1200cc)but i perfer things on two wheels and i am going to go with the Crf450!

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Og85, the advice thatt the other experienced riders is sound! They are not trying to take away any of your thunder but instead are trying to keep you in one piece. Anyone can twist a throttle and go like stink in a straight line but when the trails get twisty and rough its not the bike thats gonna let you down, it will be a lack of riding skills. A bike like a CRF450 will bite you a lot harder than your raptor can, and just in passing I don't know of any "good" riders that didn't begin on a smaller less powerful machine. Scott Goodyear, Andretti, the Petty's and the list goes on and on all started small and developed skills. It aint what ya ride its what you can do with it, dont try to buy skills. The XR400 is truly a nice bike as is the Suzuki DRZ400.
But in the end I'm just an old dude that has been around the block more than once, hey what do I know. But there will always be one fact that has yet to be proven wrong...."Charles Darwin's theory of evolution" seems to be running according to plan.....(the Darwin Awards) :) :) :) :)

Og85

Mar 30, 2002
well i have raced in the 125 class for about two months and then i entered the 250 class and its alot harder but i love the change to something more powerfull. i raced my freinds bikes and i dont want a 125(i like the 125's but i like the 250 class better) and if i get a 250 why not get the Crf450! but i rode the CRF450 last weekend and loved it! that bike is awesme! i have rode a bike before and if it is because of my age please dont let it fool you! this will be my frist bike own.

Top Bottom