CRF450R Suspension; Is it Progressive or Straight?

RAR

Nov 30, 2001
I weigh approx. 250lbs with gear, and I'm really starting to dislike my rear shock. I want to install a straight rate 5.6 spring on it but I've read that the stocker is progressive. I've also read that if the spring is progressive then mosty likely the valving is too. I was about to order a straight rate spring when I read another post about straight rate springs on progressive valving. Apparently they do not work well together. Is it a bad idea to install a straight rate spring on the CRF450R's shock if it has progressive valving, or do I really need to dish out $700 for a complete suspension job? I'm only a beginner and ride mostly MX with no major big air jumps.

Last edited:

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
mister rar
your bike doesnot have progressive springs .and does not need progressive springs .
.50 kg fork springs and 5.8 rear spring would be a good choice for mx riding
sag at 95mm . as for the valving work use a repitable shop that has plenty of experience with the 450 .:)

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
I would go a little stiffer than a 5.8 (straight rate) on the rear. One of the biggest problems with that shock is rebound valving. Spend the money on a rear revalve with stiffer spring. I've seen most of the rebound/mid-valve pistons loose in the forks so a good service without revalve but stiffer springs will work good for you for now.

doc

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…