dozer

Dec 18, 2000
I bought a set of spings (44's for my 99 KTM 300 EXC from my local KTM dealer based on his mechanics recomendation. When I installed them I noticed the springs were much longer than the origainal ones. The mechanic told me to just cut new spacers based on the difference in length and reset the sag. I tried them and they were way too stiff ( I weigh 190 lb. with gear on). I went back and he pulled out another set (42's) that were yet another length. In addition to the length diference the springs were tapered (smaller diamter on one end than the other) and the box they came in said they are progressive WP springs. Knowing that the original springs are straight rate I questioned the mecahinc about switcing to progresive. He insisted they are straight rate even when I showed him the box they came in. Who is right the WP box or the mechanic? Also can you buy replacement springs that are the same length as the origanals that you don't have to cut new spacers for? Should I run straight or progressive?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Dozer,
The physical description sounds like they are progressive.. The box says they are progressive..

Sounds like the Mechanic is wrong..
Regards,
Jer

Lawndart D

May 24, 2001
check this web site out dozer

go to www.holeshotktm.com
it has a KTM only message board monitored by a KTM dealer(20+years)
the board is an incredible asset to a KTM owner.
along with board you will have all the info u need

i think your mechanic is wrong i have both progressive and straight rate springs for KTM and the way u described them i think WP is right they are progressive springs. i like the straight rate for mx and playing but the progressives are supposed to be more plush but i weigh about the same and i was told heavier riders wont see any advantage to progressive rates (your weight will blow through the soft progressive part of the spring)
thats my 2 cents
check out the holeshot message board
happy landings
Lawndart Dave '98 380M/XC

mgorman

May 8, 2000
I agree with both of the posts. In our area with all the mud and pig slop we get to ride in, I opted for straight rate so that the weight of the mud would not use up the initial travel. Personaly, I thought your bike was sprung pretty well as it was. Please do not tell me the mechanic's name was the same as a motorized grass cutter?!

mg

mgorman

May 8, 2000
Dozer,

It wasn't hard! Slammer and I are going to the Crow Canyon GNCC Sunday. I am going both days adn if it looks like a fun track I may race Sunday. First I have to get over being sick and turn my back tire around.

Team race at Elson (Battlesburg) next Sat. Find a partner!!

dozer

Dec 18, 2000
Got a call from slammer. Were going Sunday. Hope to see you. Also hope to see you racing. I'll try to find a partner for Elson.

Top Bottom