bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I am looking for my first set of bark busters after 17 years of riding and racing mx.I am commiting myself to hare scrambles,I would like to know if their is a pair of bark busters and hand guards that don't mount up to the bar end.I Much rather just have a mount system to the bars only, not the end of the bars where you have to cut the grips.Also what is a good set of renthal bars, would the mcgrath or emig bend be too wide? . Please bring it on.

Last edited:

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
YOu can get hand shields that just mount to the bars but they offer nothing more than roost protection, put one of those up against a tree and you will be picking up the plastic splinters!!
If you are gonna be serious in the woods, gonna have to get the metal guards that go in the bar ends. Once you are used to them, you won't ride w/o them. One smashed finger is a sure fire cure of worrying about cutting into the grips!!!
Bar preference is up to you, but they all need to be cut down no matter what bend you get. I run Cycra ProBends w/the plastic shields mounted to them, best thing I have used yet. Most guards these days also have the option of mounting to the top triple clamp instead of the bar, that is a nice way to go as well.
Good luck in the woods! Jason

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I just checked out cycra's web site,they do look like the ticket,but they have the front and side tripple clamp mounts.The 03 kx 250 have the pinch bolts on the rear of the top clamp. Looks like I have to do some searching.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
The first time you put your bike down and bend/break a clutch or brake lever, you will wish you had something that wrapped around the end of the bar.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Mounting into the bar end is the only way to go. Anything else and the first tree you hit (and you will hit trees) will snap your little fingers like a twig.

The protection against tweaking your levers after dumping the bike is a bonus as well.

Any reason you are opposed to it? Just make sure the throttle grip end has a good 1/8" clearance between the throttle tube and bark buster end. Don't want it to bind up.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
OK thanks for the replys.Going with the bar end.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Your prob going to have to replace your top tripple clamp with a aftermarket unit that has the bolts on the front or side. My 00 had the bolts on the front i belive and it was tough finding ones to fit. Your better off making your own brackets. Use .25 in aluminum stock. The final product looks really nice, youd be surprised. Then just bolt on whatver metal barkbusters you want to. Better to pick the hand guards first that way youj can match evetything up and wont have to bend them to fit the brackets you make

magnet

Apr 4, 2001
Theres a new set of handguards made by www.dirttricks.com Checkout their website. Pricey items but they are just what you want. I e-mailed them tonight to get an idea of just how strong they are.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by magnet
Theres a new set of handguards made by www.dirttricks.com Checkout their website. Pricey items but they are just what you want. I e-mailed them tonight to get an idea of just how strong they are.

Yes they do look sweet,same company I guess that make the iron man sprockets.Thanks.

Top Bottom