SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm looking at getting new handlebars for my 200. I will be putting bark busters on them, but I'm not sure what size. I'll be getting Moose Carbon Steel bars, either Cr-Hi bend or Mini bend. The Cr-Hi's are 32 inches wide, the Minis 28.5". Would I be better to go with the Minis or just cut down the Cr-His? Thanks.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I really recommend you try and save for some aluminum bars. Those steel ones just bend way too easy. Maybe try some of the lower end aluminum bars or look at Ebay, For sale Forum, etc.... to find some Renthals or the like for cheap.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
IMHO the cheaper Renthal aluminum bars aren't significantly stronger than stock steel bars. I have bent 3 of the cheapo Renthals already and won't ever be putting them on again. I will spend a little (ok maybe a lot) more next time and get pro-tapers or the like.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Speedy, I got a set of CR bend (OEM measurements) Alloy Renthals cut to 29.5" I sell ya. I had to switch to Pro Tapers on the GasGas to use a Scotts dampner.

They are just sitting in my basement. $35 USD OK?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by TTRGuy
I have bent 3 of the cheapo Renthals already and won't ever be putting them on again. I will spend a little (ok maybe a lot) more next time and get pro-tapers or the like.

Same here and couldn't agree more.....If it's in the budget get the Pro Tapers.

Get the wide bars as you can only cut so much off the bars and still have the BBs fit properly. The bend also determines how much you can cut off. My bars are KX low bend, 29.75" wide not including the width added by the Bark Busters (30.25" total). I modified my BBs to get the desired width. Notice the orginal mounting hole would not work.

Need to clean that thing today. :eek:

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
If you with Pro-tapers go with Summers racing hand guard mounts. The mount the guards to the triple clamp rather than the bars, allowing the bars to flex as designed.

Its a neat setup. I like them.

Pic from their website

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Offroadr
The mount the guards to the triple clamp rather than the bars, allowing the bars to flex as designed.
Not to get in a debate, but ........I don't see how the bar mounts will significantly stiffen the bars.

The mounts look interesting; here are a few questions for you guys.
Do you need to use the SRC bark busters with the mounts to prevent modifications?
Can you get a slight downward angle of the bark busters with the guards?
How do you adjust for bar width with the mounts? Same way I did, by drilling another hole?
A bud also has the mounts; one thing I do like is the additional room between the bark busters and the levers.

Thanks

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by bscottr

Not to get in a debate, but ........I don't see how the bar mounts will significantly stiffen the bars.

Its pretty simple. Pro Tapers are designed to flex. Mounting the bark buster on both ends of the bar removes the ability for the bar to flex . stand on your bike and try flex the bars with and without the barkbusters. Its noticable. I did it.

The mounts look interesting; here are a few questions for you guys.
Do you need to use the SRC bark busters with the mounts to prevent modifications?

I used my Enduro engineering bark busters. I drilled a new hole like you did. Thats mainly because I shortened the bars

Can you get a slight downward angle of the bark busters with the guards?
How do you adjust for bar width with the mounts? Same way I did, by drilling another hole?
Yes the are slightly angled

A bud also has the mounts; one thing I do like is the additional room between the bark busters and the levers.

Thats the best part IMO, lots of room for your rollchart, computer thumbswitch etc

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take a closer look at my buds' mounts, may be a better option. TBD

Originally posted by Offroadr
Pro Tapers are designed to flex. Mounting the bark buster on both ends of the bar removes the ability for the bar to flex.
Agreed, they are designed to flex. I don't agree that the mounts REMOVE the ability to flex, however, they do REDUCE that ability. Again, it just wasn't significant on my bike. We're probably splitting hairs here anyway.

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
I'd go with aliminum bars I bent three pairs of the moose steel bars when I bairly even wrecked. I'm going to get aluminum bars one I heal from my two broken arms.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm putting on some bark busters and I'm on a very limited budget. So I will be better off going with the CR-Hi bend bars and cutting them down?
Offroadr- I can't afford that much for bars right now, I owe my parents $800 so I'm on an EXTREMELY limited budget, thanks anyway.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom