lcc

Dec 10, 2006
Forum NEWB here so be nice! I just bought a set of Tusk aluminum handguards with the plastic add-ons. They look great. But I am having extreme trouble getting them mounted. The bike is a 1991 KDX250 with Renthal bars. The previous owner shaved the bars for tight woods riding, but by how much I don't know.

I can't get the aluminum guards to fit properly. When I have them mounted on the end of the bars, I can't get them to mate up to the mounts on the inside portion of the bars. If I get it close then the assembly for the master cylinder prevents the guards from getting close enough to the mounts. Even when I use a spacer on the bar ends to compensate for the shaved bars I still can not get them to mount cleanly with the inner bar mounts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am open to trying another brand if they are known to mount up better. BTW, I'd like to retain standard size levers. Thanks guys!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Don't mount the inner mount to the bars. Mount it to the upper fork pinch bolts on the triple tree. You can fabricate aluminum brackets and use longer bolts for the pinch bolts. Or you can buy them from companies such as Cycra (shown)

This is a better arrangement, as the guards don't rotate in a crash and you have more room for the levers.

Attachments

• front_full.gif
    front_full.gif
    66.3 KB · Views: 79

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Barkbusters rarely bolt up without some tweaking. Don't be scared to drill new mounting holes or tweak the bend of the barkbusters to get everything to line up.

Top Bottom