CycleNews four stroke mx shootout- Dec 17th

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Curious to see if anyone has gotten the newest issue yet. Cannondale, CRF, YZF, Katoom, they are all in there.

If Cannondale stinks again, I'm selling my stock and abandoning buying a Cannondale.

Let me know if any of yawl have gotten the issue yet, figure mine will be in Saturday

Arby

Mar 19, 2001
I read elsewhere that they tested Honda, Yamaha, KTM, VOR, Husa, Verm,
and maybe one more (not husky). Top pick--Honda, followed by Yamaha
and third was KTM.

Arby

Mar 19, 2001
New issue of Dirt Bike has the Honda, Yamaha and KTM open class
thumper shootout. Their choice was the Honda even though it placed
second in all the comparison categories????

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Got my issue yesterday. Arby is right - Cycle News final podium was Honda, Yamaha, KTM.

Yamaha & Cannondale were placed 1 & 2 in suspension, but the CRF won many categories.

They loved the Honda but also had lots of good things to say about the Yamaha.

One surprising thing to me was the Husaberg was described as the heaviest bike in the shootout (not sure about the manufacturer's claimed weights) and the Honda was a reported 15 pounds lighter than the next lightest bike on the CN scales.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Take what you read with a grain of salt

Go by the picture of the KTM smoking um off the line and the rider looking back.
This is the norm.
"x 426 man"

KTMs simply
are the best so far.:)

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Cycle News 4-Stroke Shootout

Yep, it's all there!
Cannondale X440S @ $5995 vs.
Honda CRF450R @ $6,299 vs.
Husaberg FC550 @ $6,995 vs.
KTM 520SX @ $6,748 vs.
Vertemati C500 $9,500 vs.
VOR 530MX $6,999 vs.
Yamaha YZ426F $5,999.

"Best Motor" - 1. Honda 2. KTM 3. Yamaha (Are they mistaken? IMHO.)
"Best Suspension" - 1. Yamaha 2.Cannondale 3. Honda
"Best Handling" - 1. Honda 2. Yamaha 3. VOR (Have they lost it?)
"Best Brakes" - 1. Honda 2.KTM 3. Husaberg
"Best Starting" - 1. Cannondale 2. KTM 3. Honda (C-dale had E-start!)
"Best Ergonomics" - 1. Honda 2. VOR 3. Yamaha (Did they sit on them?)
"Best Fit & Finish" - 1. Honda 2. KTM 3. Yamaha (They HAVE lost it!)
"Most High-Tech" - 1. Cannondale 2. Vertemati 3. VOR (Interesting bikes!)

1. Honda
2. Yamaha
3. KTM
4. Husaberg
5. VOR
6. Vertemati
7. Cannondale

...they must be (gulp) joking? Your opinions would be interesting!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Its so funny...

I know it ain't all horsepower but I have it from a reliable source that a 450f has yet to break 48hp on a dynojet.
My 426f with a Gore/Rohrich 97mm motor makes 54.4rwhp on a dynojet with nu-tec fuel.
The red boys got a ways to go...:debil: :debil: :debil:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Re: Its so funny...

Originally posted by SFO
My 426f with a Gore/Rohrich 97mm motor makes 54.4rwhp on a dynojet with nu-tec fuel.

Can't wait to see what Eric and Rich can do with the 450F.:cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: Re: Its so funny...

Originally posted by Vic

Can't wait to see what Eric and Rich can do with the 450F.:cool:

:p :p :p

huffa

Oct 24, 2001
So what. You have to test them on the same day and dyno under the exact same cond. Were they? Besides that theres just too much I read about them in test that put them very close. It's all what you prefer.

huffa

Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Zoomer
. It's all what you prefer. [/QUOTE

Huffa you hit it right on the head! Just like ford CHEVEY/] GMC and ??oh yea dodge. they are all great, but everybody prefers there own;)
[/QUOTE Hey zoomer I noticed you had a 75 rokon and just thought I ask how it held up. My buddy just bought one from a guy in new york that has a whole barn full of them. I saw the pictures of them and it's really cool how many the guy has and he has lots and lots of parts too. Do you still have yours? Anything thats known to break on them? How did the motor and auto trans hold up? Please zoom back with a reply.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Well I was going to take my ROKON to DW this year, but a couple days before I was leaving, I got it out, and started it, and lost the ignition coil.
Other then that, its a fun bike, I get a lot of stares. I don't race it, although there is a guy in AHRMA that goes pretty good on a MX model. The auto works great, basicly a snowmobile drive system.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I know it ain't all horsepower but I have it from a reliable source that a 450f has yet to break 48hp on a dynojet.

Neither do stock 426's, as far as I know. For what its worth, the CRF450R dyno right around 49hp in the DIRT RIDER shootout, and in another mag I read, I think it was CYCLE WORLD or something like that.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I used to have more faith in Cycle News.

They listed the FC550 as the heaviest. There is no way that is the case. Its probably the lightest. The CRF might be lighter but I would have to see it for myself. I am going to weigh my bike on our certified scale at work tomorrow, I will post results here after.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I thought CN did a good job with the MX shootout. They obviously put a lot of effort into it and there was plenty of useful information for anyone interested in these bikes.

If anybody can find a better, more comprehensive comparison between the current crop of open class MX four strokes, please post some info about where we can read it!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
If anybody can find a better, more comprehensive comparison between the current crop of open class MX four strokes, please post some info about where we can read it!
I would like to see someone point out what they did different than the other fish wraps and post it here. At least when Dirt Bike does a test they weigh the bikes and print the results.

One thing I did enjoy in the test was the coverage of Honey Lake MX park. That place looks awsome. I plan on riding there in Febuary.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I did it......

Well it exactly was not tomorrow but I finally weighed my bike. It tipped the scale at 251 lbs. (with 1/2 gal gas, skid plate, Ralley Pro hand guards and a steering damper) I figure that extra stuff weighs about 12 pounds. That would put my bike at 239 with all fluids minus gas. Now I dont know what those guys at Cycle News was smoking when they weighed them bikes but it must have been good stuff because I know of only one bike in that test that could have been lighter and I would still like to see one on a scale for my self..... Husaberg the heaviest.... Dumbest thing I ever heard.....:p

Top Bottom