OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
I'm planning in advance here.........From what I can see in the Engine parts list book, 2 of the cylinders holding nuts are hidden under the power valve covers on each side of the motor is this correct? I know the day will come when I have to pull this cylinder and do the top end and I need to know this info. Also if I'm correct on the cylinders fastener location (under the valve covers) Do I have to mess with or disassemble the power valve assembly in order to remove the nuts holding the cylinder in place? I pray I don't because it looks like a million small parts that I'd rather spray clean and then just have the cylinder checked before I slide another piston in there later on down the road...So if anyone can answer this in a very precise way please do so.....:p

Thanks in advance.......................;)

Also if I rebuild early can I just wrap fresh rings around the stock piston or should I just pop a whole new piston kit in there?

Funny I just got the bike too, but I want to plan in advance.....:cool:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
You are correct. Two of the cylinder nuts are under the PV Covers. As far as spraying the PV parts to clean them without removing, I would advise against. There are 4 O-rings associated directly with the PV, and most solvents will cause them to expand, and possiby impact their integrity (negatively). I would recommend removing the PV, cleaning and replacing the O-rings. It looks harder than it is.

Lots of guys here can help walk you through the rebuild, should you have questions.

As far as rings vs. piston goes, I got 2000 miles on my first top end on my 300, and close to 3000 on my 380. I would replace the whole enchilada when you do (probably many moons from now)

OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
Coolness

Thanks Strick, yes I've heard from friends of mine also that I won't have to even think about a rebuild for many moons on this bike. So when the time comes I'l do the whole Chimi Changa HE HE..One more thing though can I get the cylinder off with out the disassmbly of the PV?? Just curious..........

Thanks...........:aj:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Yes, on the rt. side of the motor you pull off the PV cover. You will see a linkage arm with a knob on the end. Look closely at the knob and you will see a wire pin kinda C shaped that you must remove. The arm will pull off, and the cylinder can be pulled off.

Top Bottom