Damaged Cylinder 2002 RM250

Apr 23, 2004
cracked a ring and scarred the cylinder up... This is adding up to about $800.... something I was not expecting and the guy was only going to charge me $100 labor! I am trying to weigh my options here to minimize some of the expense.

the guy working on my bike tells me that the cylinder will either need to be replaced or re-sleeved. He tells me my options here are to buy a new cylinder for $500 or pick up the cylinder and take it somewhere to have it re-sleeved since they dont do that where he works. From what I understand it's going to cost me $350-$400 to have it re-sleeved or $500 for a brand new cylinder...should I just spend the extra bit to buy a new cylinder or is there other alternatives that I should look into?

Any help would be appreciated...haven't gone riding in 3 weeks and can't wait to get her up and running agin :ride:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Your best bet would be to deal with Eric Gorr (http://www.ericgorr.com ) You have a few options, you could get the cylinder welded and replated or you could go the big bore route and turn it into a 265 or larger. Either way I think you'll find it cheaper than what you've been quoted and a better solution to sleeving the cylinder which at times comes with other issues.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Chilli's right. Do no sleeve it. If Eric is busy you can go directly to US Chrome for the repair and replate. Depending on how much welding they have to do you'll get out for under $200. Call them.
1-800-922-5066
http://www.uschrome.com/

Apr 23, 2004
thanks guys...im curious to know what other "issues" may resleeving a cylinder cause? ...if it gets replated at uschrome don't they weld in a sleeve too or is there another process they put the cylinder through?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get it fixed the best and the least expensive way!

I'm going to pick up my cylinder tomorrow and will call the places you both suggested... Thanks for your help!

Science

Nov 27, 2001
Call Powerseal USA

John,
Call Powerseal USA @ (866) 845-1531 & ask for Kris. They are in Kimberton, PA probably a short drive or less than a 1 day UPS depending where you live in NJ. It's probably going to cost around $200 to replate.
Powerseal is a Dutch company that is branching out in the USA. The technology is top notch & they won't let you down. Finally, a reputatble plating company on the East Coast!
http://www.powersealusa.com/
This is not spam. I speak from experience!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Generally speaking you can run into overheating issues as a sleeve interferes with the cooling capabilities of the water jacket. Other issues can be things like an improperly installed sleeve coming loose and twisting. USChrome or other replaters don't weld in a sleeve they actually weld the cylinder damage, bore it to spec and replate it, when you get it back it's like a brand new cylinder.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…