Dangerous to heat the rear shock?

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Trying to remove the top spherical bearing.  A torch would probably help, i'm using the socket and vise method, with a really long breaker bar. :p

Which brings up a question, how come bikes don't use spherical bearings all around?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I am hoping you made sure there was no circlip holding it in or that the bearing can only come out 1 side.:)

You can warm up the top bearing although a concern has just been raised to me about over heating aluminum I was always more alarmed about the oil getting too hot in the shock. Not knowing how hot a shock gets when working I always have my hand on the shock body while heating it up. When it starts getting too warm to touch I stop heating. I do that even when I have to cut shock mounting bolts off of a truck with a torch. I heard of a "flaming oil spraying all over the place" horror story once. Whether true or not I don't want to find out.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its not considered a good idea to heat them-they have warnign stickers on them saying this.I know they get hot in use but i wouldnt put any heat near one and stand near it.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
??? Are you using a large socket on one side (big enough to hold the OD of the bearing) and one the same size as bearing on other? What's the beaker bar for? I have pushed on many with a standard 6" vise using this method using very little effort. If this isn't working, I would look closer to make sure there is not a retaining clip or something in place. Heat should not be necessary.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Yup, there was a circlip. I took a look in the manual since the seals were different sizes. What a squid! Thanks for everything. Where do you guys get replacement circlips?

Top Bottom