Just when u though u heard it all

windsormw

Aug 8, 2004
I got a 2001 rm 125 :nod: ............. love the bike but last month it locked up on me Z( thats right ) . I was flying down a bean feild and CLUNK . tryed to kick it , it wouldn't budge

I never even looked @ it for a few weeks , just to discusted to even touch it ( after my recent top end work) :pissed: .

I talked to a friend of mine about it and he mentioned a crank bearing prob. I took off fly wheel cover and found that my crank had some consideralble play in it ( .017 to be exact )

I never cracked open the case before , it was pretty strait forward on how to get to the crank bearing ( Take the whole motor apart ) :yikes:

Anyways i got the crank shaft out with a deep socket and a hammer . The bearing was toast , missing balls and everything .

I have a PROTO set of bearing seperators . They advertize 10 tons of pressure is what they can take . Bassically the best thing on the market unless u machine ur own out of tool steel .

By this time the outer race had come loose and all the reast of the balls came out . Now all i had was a inner race on the crank shaft . I put the biggest seperator on it i had ( the smaller ones kept starting to TACO . ) That seperator is for bearings up to 8"'s in dia.
Still that Monster of a seperator wouldn't budge the little race . :bang:

So what do ya do ? Heat the race ? did that , frezzze the crank , did that . If i bring it to the dealer , whats he going to do that i can't Pressing it out in not an option ( must get in behind that race first )

There was the thought of using a die grinder to gently slice away the material . But thts kinda working blind and if i score that journal , its pretty much junk .

In the end i choose the fire axe ( oxy-acetelene torch ) DO NOT EVEN THINK OF DOING THIS IF UR A NOVICE WITH A TORCH

I have spent many hours on the torch and even then I was still a little un sure . The bearing will melt right away and not scare the shaft @ all if u pay atten.

!. get water , lots . AS the race heats up , alot of that heat will go unto the journal of the crank shaft .

2. turn ur oxgen regulator down to 15 psi

3. take little cuts @ the race , just watch it melt away

4. just little cuts @ a time and then cool everything with water ( this is so important cause the bearing steel melts @ 1 temp. and the crank will melt @ another )

5. snip snip , cut a line thought the race axially , take ur time , cooling after every little cut . JUST DON"T LET THE SHAFT TURN RED HHOT

thats all .......once i had that line cut , i put seperator on and it popped right off :aj:

I don't know if anyone has done this before , but i would be happy to provide help and pics if some one will tell me how to get the on this forum .

Oct 10, 2004
The trick that allways worked for me is to get the bearing race red hot then dunk it in cold water it will usualy slip off with your fingers

Top Bottom