DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
i just changed the tranny fluid on my 2000 CR250. about 10-15 hrs since last oil change. i use the honda tranny fluid (red in color). it was very dark. i have searched around and some people say theirs is always clear when they change it and others say theirs is dirty when they change. for my bike is it normal for it to be dirty or is there a problem? the bike runs just fine and does not seem to have any problems that i can see.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
15-20 hours? Yah, it should be dark. Change every 3-4 or at least more frequent. Treat that bottom end good and it will treat you good. ;)

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
Change it every 3 rides no matter what color it is. You are due for an oil change. Make sure you do it the right way. After you drain it, and are ready to fill, take out the oil check bolt, and fill it until it starts dribbling out.

DGMCR250

Apr 5, 2004
there is an oil check bolt?? i have put however much the manuel said, about 24 oz. or so. where is the oil check bolt and why is it there?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Yup. When you pull the bolt out to check the oil, some oil should ooze out. If it doesn't, then you are low on oil. Assuming you're bike is on a level surface and is not leaning.

I don't know where this bolt is on a CR, but on a YZ, it's on the right side between the clutch cover and waterpump. Mine has a washer on it whereas the rest of the bolts on the case do not.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use the same oil in my 99cr. It will come out dark if you leave it in long enough. I change mine every other ride. Which works out to about 3-4 hrs between changes. After doing this a few times, it will come out a slightly darker shade of red. Also, if you abuse the clutch alot, it would be better to change more frequently. And i also noticed it coming out cleaner after switching to steel plates instead of the stock aluminum.

Top Bottom