YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Man were do I start.

I had such a good time at the Six Days of Michigan. I didn’t ride the event I helped work part of it. I was up there for day 5 at Drummond Island. The West Michigan Trail Riders were hosting the 60 mile ride on the island as well as a 180 mile dual sport ride from St Ignace to Detour. We had our work cut out for us. This years crew consisted of trail boss Joe Daugherty, Scotty Chaffie, Jim Cmore, and me. Joe rides a 520 KTM, Scotty is on a 450 KTM, Jim is sporting a WR426, and I had Skippy (CRF250X)

For Jim and I this was our 1st time helping with the 6 days. We are thinking of ridding the event next year so this is a good preview of what we are in for. Scotty has been helping Joe with the 6 days since like 1990 I believe.

Wednsday night.

So anyway. Jim and I got up to Joe’s place at Detour around 9:00pm Wednesday night We set up our tent and settled in around the campfire to get the rundown from Joe on the next 2 days activities. Thursday Jim and I were going over to the island to pre-ride the entire event and make sure that all the marks were still up and there was no questionable areas were people would get lost. Joe and Scotty were going to go over the dual sport portion and check that over. We all then hit the hay in preparation for a big day ahead. I gotta tell ya, camping at Joe’s place is awesome. His summer place is right on lake Huron. As I laid in my tent I could hear loon’s singing and the waves lapping up on the beech all while a cool breeze blows thru the tent. Does it get any better.

Thursday morning

After a great breakfast by Pat, Joe’s wife, Jim and I loaded our bikes into the back of my truck and headed for the island. It saves money by putting the bikes in the truck and not bringing the trailer across the ferry. We had to check out not only the trail marking but the road leading up to the trail head. There were 4 guys that went over to the island about 2 weeks ago to mark the island so that was done already. We were just getting all the last minute stuff done.

Here is a map of the trails on the island.

map link

There are 2 loops that we were running them on. The 1st loop ran from #2 to 1 to 4 to 5a to 7 to 6a to 6 to 11a to 12 to 14 and out. That amounts to about 14.5 miles of trail and would take most around 1-1-1/2 hours to ride.

There is a gas stop about 2 miles down the road west of #2. That was to be our half way stop and lunch break. The country store was aware of the riders coming thru and had made special preparations for them. Very nice of them.

From there the 2nd loop heads back in at 14 and went 14, 15, 11, 9, 10, 17, 19a, 20, 21 back east down Sheep Ranch road to 19, 18, 25, 25a, and finish at 27. This amounted to around 17 miles and took us around 2-1/2 hours to get thru. You may be thinking 2-1/2 hours to ride 17 miles, man you guys are slow. Well if you have never rode the island before you are welcome to try it. You will find that our pace is about the norm for the conditions.

So anyway Jim and I stopped at the store and explained to them what we were doing there and for permission to leave our truck there as we pre-rode the island. We geared up and headed down the road to #2. Neither Jim or I are plated. But from what I understand that doesn’t matter in that county. As long as you are not on any highways its not a problem. Nice. They should adopt that rule around here. Once in the trail we were greeted by 2 nice big slimy mud holes. Might as well dive in and get it over, this is Drummond after all and this is probably only the start of the mud. But to our surprise this is pretty much the end of the mud. The trail was in beautiful shape. Well good for Drummond anyways. It’s a nasty little Rock of and island to ride anytime. The lack of mud is just a plus. This loop went by pretty fast and was marked very well. This is my favorite section of trail to ride. Lots of great single track and a few 2 tracks to let you wind down a little. It started to get hot outside while we were on this loop. The only way to stay cool is to stay ridding. Which isn’t the easiest thing to do considering how hard you have to work to get thru the trail. It’s a tough balancing act for sure.

After a break at the corner store and refueling we headed back out to 14 and dove in. This loop was a little worse than the other. And we expected that. A few notable sections in here were 20 to 21 and the killing fields. 20 to 21 is just plain nasty. Lots and lots and lots of rocks, roots, skider tracks, and uneven bumpy terrain make getting into any kind of groove impossible. We came out of there beat up and sweating profusely. The other section called the killing fields is aptly named cause you are ridding thru large grassy fields. The grass is waist deep and the trail is about 12” wide. Sounds nice doesn’t. The killing part comes into play cause 1” of the trail and hidden by the grass is large boulders, rocks, and stumps. Its ugly, Really ugly. In other sections of the trail you can see were riders have taken alternate lines, but not here. Everyone stays on the trail, or else. But staying on the trail isn’t all that easy cause on the trail are rocks that try to throw you off the trail. Fun stuff.

We did come across a few quaders that were doing trail maintance out there. We stopped and chatted with them and explained what were doing so they wouldn’t be taking down any of our marks. You would think that they would be aware of the 6 days coming thru but they weren’t. We did find some sections were there were marks down and the trail had actually been blocked re-routed from were it should be. We fixed these sections and remarked as needed.

Eventually we pop’d out at 27 and headed back. Overall the trails and marking were in excellent shape. There really wasn’t much that we needed to do except ride hard and have a great time. Which we did for sure. Skippy performed flawlessly. The Scotts Dampner was a godsend.

We jumped back on the ferry and hit Joes place at 5:00pm. Joe had already left for Mackinaw City for the riders meeting. Jim and I jumped into lake Huron to clean up and headed off after them. When we got to the campground I really didn’t expect to see anyone I would know. But there was a friend of mine from thumpertalk walking down the road. We stopped to talk. I looked in my mirror and here comes Chris Huber driving in. I waved at him as he drove by. Then just as I was taking off again there goes “Lost in the woods” Dave ridding by on his Peddle bike. Jeff Ferdette had named Dave a few years back after Dave got a group lost. Dave also proved his name to us as he got us lost in Colorado a few years back.

So anyways we found the riders meeting. As we drove in Bill Chapin started giving us some grief about being registered. I explained to him that we were the sweep crew and he lightened up a little and let us by, what a prick. We found Joe and gave him a trail report from the days ride. When the meeting started Joe went up and told the crew what they were in for and the conditions of the trail. Some were a little skeptical after last years ride. It had been a mud fest. But Joe assured them that it was relatively dry. One guy not believing him asked how current is your information and Joe informed him about 2 hours ago. That seemed to shut the guy up. Lol.

As I looked around I saw a few familiar faces as well as a few TT members that I think I knew. After the meeting I walked up to a chap and sure enough it was Wrooster. We chatted a bit and he wandered of to fix his bike (steering was a little tweaked from a tree incursion earlier in the day.) It was funny, they have colored pop sickle sticks that they pick up on the trail that proves that they rode the trail. We had them and he wanted a few. I laughed and told him no such luck. He wasn’t getting out that easy.

So we just wandered around a bit making a few new friends and catching up with old ones. It was fun. About 9:00pm we headed out to get some food and get back to Joe’s. We had an hours ride back to Detour and an early morning so we needed food and sleep.

Friday aka D-day (Drummond day)

We woke up early, around 7:00am, and got our gear together. We had to be on the ferry by 8:30am. We had the sticks and had to get to the checks before the 1st riders came thru. They were told that the 8:40 ferry is the 1st one so we were good. We stopped by the school parking lot in Detour were the riders were parking so they could ride across on the ferry. There were a few folk there. So we stopped to chat and give a few pointers. It was fun giving them pointers about the route and mileage that they would see. I felt very helpful. We headed over to the ferry around 8:20 and got right on. I looked in my mirror and there was WRooster behind me. I steped out and chatted a bit with him as well as take a few photo’s.

photo #1

photo #2

photo #3

Once off the Ferry Jim and I made a bee line in the truck to put up the checks. I noticed Jim following me instead of the arrowing. I pulled over and sure enough he didn’t know were he was going. I redirected him and fended off another attempt to get some check sticks and we were off again. Once the Marks were up at 14 and 15 we ran over to the actual staging area at 13. We had seen some riders heading that way and wanted to get the feel for what they were doing. The kids ride was also going to meet at 13 so I wanted to figure out what they were up to.

On the road back to the Ferry I stopped at the gas stop to talk to Wrooster. He was waiting for his brother in law who was at 13 getting ready. Wrooster’s wife was dropping him off at the store and going sight seeing while he rode.

We got back to the ferry and settled in for a little wait. The riders were told that the 10:40 ferry was the last one for them and we would be taking the marks down shortly after. I got a call on the FRS radio I had and Joe informed me from the mainland that the last group was on the ferry that was docking. I grabbed my camera and snapped off a few shots as they rode off.

photo #1

photo #2

photo #3

photo #4

photo #5

We started taking the arrows off on the road in. We stoped to get one and noticed 2 bikes on the side of the road. They were part of the kids ride and were running late. We gave them the run down on were they should be and sent them off. They were pretty gratefull that we knew what was going on. Continuing on we came to the 4 corners gas station and there were a large group of riders there. Someone had a flat and I cought this fella there helping fix it. Go figure.

photo #1

photo #2

A few coments were said about were is Ferdette for a contest when you need him.

One of the guys walked up and asked “are you yzman?” He knew I was doing sweep and figured out who I was. I cant remember if he is a DRN guy or a TT’r. Sorry I am not good with names. Once we chased them out we continued taking markes off up to #2 from the Ranger. We headed to the Gas stop down the road and unloaded the bikes. Here is were the fun begins.

Oh I forgot to mention that it was raining lightly from the moment we woke up Friday. It was supposed to let up by mid morning but it was still looking gloomy. If the rain did stop it would be good as it was dusty the day before and a little rain would help.

At #2 a few riders snuck in front of us. They just made it and scurried off down the trail. Jim and I took turns sling shoting past each other when one stopped for a mark. It was a nice easy pace and we were making good time. We came up on 2 riders, a guy and his wife. She had dumped her bike and was picking it up. We waited for them to get settled and gave some milage to the end for them for some encouragement. Only bad thing is I reset my ODO at the gas stop and not at #2 so my milage was off by about 2-1/2 miles. Oops. I told them they had 1-1/2 miles to go. 1-1/2….3-1/2 whats the diff…..lol

We continued on and got almost to #14 when I came apon Jim and his bike next to a tree. I thought he was just getting a mark but he was 90 deg to the trail. Then I noticed the big divot of bark missing from the tree next to him. I was like “Jim are you alright” I think he came back with something like “I can hear the bells”. He got thrown into the tree. Luckily the bike hit and not him he was fine. From there we hit #14 and down the road. Up to this point the trail had been incredible. Very little dust or mud. Just great traction. We zipped down to #13 to check what was going on. There were a few folk there. We asked what they were doing. Most were part of the kids ride and not part of our program. They were on a diff guided tour than what we were working on. They did mention that one of the adults on the kids ride had broken his arm and was on his way to the hospital in Cheboygan.

We headed down the road to the gas stop on;y to be met with heavy rain. Lovely. This is gonna suck. We got to the stop and there was Joe and Pat hanging out at Chucks place having lunch. We went in and got a bite to eat, on the CCC of coarse. By now it was really raining. This is really gonna suck. But we waited for a lul in the rain and geared up and headed out. The 2 miles of paved road in the rain really sucked. I had to grit my teath to keep them from chattering. But when we got neat the drop in at #14 for the 2nd loop it hadent even rained there. Strange. Joe and pat ran road sweep in the truck for us. This helped as we only had to worry about the trails at this point.

We swept from 14 to 15 to 11 to 9 to 10 to 17 were Joe was waiting. He commented that he was surprised how close the trail was to the road as he could hear us. He could even hear us talking at one point. He thought it was strange that we would talk as we rode. I explained to him that I wasn’t ridding and talking. I was laying on the ground and talking. Darn tree roots anyways. We unloaded all our marked and headed in at 17. When we got near to 20 I spotted another rider. I was like great we are gonna me trailing this guy all day. It was also around there that sweat started running into my eyes and burning bad. We popped out at 20 and Joe was gone. Pat said that he was gonna help and sweep 20 to 21. Good cause that was a nasty section. Joe would latter regret doing that. As we cleaned goggles and chatted with Pat a few bikes rolled by. Ahhhh sweet 2 stoke smoke.

Just as we headed out to #19 it started to rain. HARD. The cold icy fingers as the cold rain invaded my crotch was most unwelcome. We were soaked in the 1 mile to #19. We dove in there and fought our way on. The rain was a downpour. The rocks and roots were positively greasy. You couldn’t even think of using the throttle for fear of sliding out. Jim had to ditch his goggles early cause they were fogged up. My anti fog progrips faired slightly better but I finally had to loose them also. This is were things got really difficult for me. I really didn’t want to ride without goggles but I had no choice. The rain was weighting the leafy branches down low. They would slap you right in the face. I wear contacts. A wet leave slap can easily float a lens outta my eye. Only way to avoid this is to put your head down and close your eyes when you go thru the tree branch. Not a very safe way to ride in this sloppy rocky terrain. By this point The SDOM riders were probably done. They either missed the rain or cough very little of it. I couldn’t help thinking that I would of loved to take a few of them thru with us. This rainy slop is the Drummond I know. And I was loving it. I may not have admited it at the time but it was a riot.

At one point I pulled up next to a tree to grab a mark. Hey there aint no ground under my foot. Slamo, down I go. Handguard has some personality don’t it.

ouch #1

ouch #2

Somewere in here I remember turning my damper up like 3 clicks to try to keep the wheel under me. It didn’t work. I hit a slimy offcamber log and slamo down I went before I could even blink.

I came around another corner to see Jim hitting a offcamber log and slamo down he went over the bars. I skidded to a stop laughing my butt off. You notice a theme forming here. We were having a blast. But out energy was going away fast. Joe was going to meet us at 27 and sweep the road while we rode back to the truck. But to our surprise we beet him there. He showed up minutes latter. He was suprised and happy to see us. He was thinking that we were really gonna struggle in there, which we were, and that he was gonna have to unload his bike and come in looking for us.

We made the slow, long, wet ride down the paved road to our truck. Man that was cold. We loaded up, changed and headed to the Ferry. Once back on the mainland we invaded Scotty’s hotel room for a few hot showers and hit the Villager restraint bar for some appetizers and…..beverages….compliment of the CCC. We told tales of the days ride. Scotty about the dual sport sweep he did with Lost in the woods Dave and us on the island. It was a riot. Scotty told a tale about how some riders came up to him asking were they were. Scotty pulled out his map looked at Dave and asked were are we? Dave strikes again. The locals at that bar are the cream of the crop. I love that place. I will be back in that bar for sure. Joe seems to be pretty well known there. Strange……

Well that is pretty much it. Sorry I didn’t take too many photo’s.I was having too much fun to stop. Joe was really happy with the help he got from all of us. In past years he had got no help or lousy help. This is the 1st year that he really didn’t have to do anything. I think he felt like he should be doing something. But we had it under control. Kinda like the changing of the guard. But with us taking care of the ridding part he was able to drive around and make sure that everyone was doing ok and on the right trails.

Joe heard comments like the best marked trails of the 6 days. That is nice to hear that we put on a good event. It was really gratifying being able to answer peoples questions and help them out when needed. I really enjoyed it. I will be back to do this again.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey YZMAN

I am glad to hear you are home safe and sound and Skippy made it with just a few scratches to her bark busters ... considering the job you guys did, the conditions under which you did it, and the weather being as nasty as it was ... man, what an accomplishment! I had to read this story twice to be sure not to miss anything ... having just finished, I am almost shivering ... cold or excitement ... perhaps both!

Thanks for the effort in putting the saga together ... I personally would have no idea what it is like to ride Drummond Island if it were not for your reports ... likely true for many others as well. Maybe they'll have to rename one of the nastier segments up there for you and Skippy some day ... you two seem to enjoy them so much despite the weather and all the crashes.

Most of the riders in the photos did seem to indicate the conditions were a bit cool ... but from your account, the riding sure was hot!

terry nestrick :cool:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Make that 2 of us Terry who would not have a CLUE about that AWESOME place if it werent for YZ the MAN and his SKIIPPPYYYYY :thumb:
GREAT report that brother YZMAN!! I think its almost time to pay homage to that awesome scoot of yours and CHANGE your name!! For crying out silent Don - what do you want out of a bike!!!!!! SKIPPY DESERVES SOME CREDIT :aj:
Thanks for the GREAT pics too! Of course, I am kind of partial to the shot of my hero - THE TIRE CHANGING KING!! You didnt need Fredette man - you had the BEST of the BEST!! Of course, you dont wanna get in his way, neither do you want kids around if it doesnt go just right but thats another issue :laugh:
That was worth the wait to get such fine reading!! You and skippy deserve a standing ovation for ALL the hard work, plus the report with pics and especially for making home in one piece! Will you settle for a :cool: ???? I dont know how to make this thing applaud :)
Welcome home Don!
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Man my bike just performed flawlessly both days. I couldn't ask any more from a bike. Even when on the ground it never stalled Just kept chuging along. Even in the poring down rain it never coughed or hesitated. It just ran and preformed awsome.

Hey I got an interesting visial for ya. I went over a 12" log that was in the way of me. It was like 8' long. I poped the front wheel over it and cased the bike out. I couldn't just push off the log to get the the bike over it so I rolled the log with my feet, like those loggers do in the water, till the back wheel made contact and I could roll over. I thought that was kinda unique. Something I had never encountered before.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Don

You are amazing [crazy] ... going over a 12" ID log that was sufficiently loose it would roll sounds insane ... the fact that it was probably wet and slippery to boot makes it even crazier ... :yikes:

Guess riding with you, around you, near you or behind you requires up to date insurance policies ... nothing seems to stop you ... now I remember, you were over the 'bridge' where your breathing came easier and your blood was flowing freer … that must be how you accomplished such a stunt! :worship:

terry nestrick ;)

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh common a 12" log aint even an obsticle. The 36" one we just droped off at my buddy Joes place is an obsticle. We gotta practice getting over that sucker.

Of corse if that 12" log is 6-8" off the ground then it can be considered an obsticle.....lol

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
YZMAN400 said:
Oh common a 12" log aint even an obsticle. The 36" one we just droped off at my buddy Joes place is an obsticle. We gotta practice getting over that sucker.
You're supposed to ride down the length of the 36" logs, not over them! :debil:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN - The evidence shown on these DVD's you loaned me of you riding Utah are PROOF POSITIVE that you could ride a 36" log full length :) If you fall off a 36" log you fall 36 inches to Terrafirma, if you fall off some of those Utaheehawwin cliffs :yikes: , well lets just say BYE BYE SKIPPY!!
Also, do you ride Drummond for practice to go ride Mount Peale?? NOW THOSE ARE ROCKS!! ;)
Steamin on
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
You just wait till I get my next bolt on goody next spring for Skippy. You will be so jealious of me in the tight nasty's as I take my left hand off the bar and ride off waving..... :yikes:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh by the way I made sure to give the Hubster some grief as I watched him lever the tire back on the rim with the rotor down on the ground on concrete!!!! :yikes:

Thats a big no no in my book. :|

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
Oh by the way I made sure to give the Hubster some grief as I watched him lever the tire back on the rim with the rotor down on the ground on concrete!!!! :yikes:

Thats a big no no in my book. :|

I'm surprised that Huby didnt say something like "wellll @#@$ %^$, put your fingers under there if ya dont like it...."
His head is as hard as those Drummond Rocks YZMAN :laugh:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I cringed as I watched Hubey lay the rim down on concrete, rotor side down, then proceeded to man-handle the tire off, with full body weight holding it down. Not exactly a svelte, subtle man. Cool that he's a quick and handy-dandy tire changer. Even cooler it wasn't my bike. :yikes:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Smit-dog. Are you the fella I talked to at the gas station?? The one that intorduced himself to me? I am terrible with names.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Yup, that was me. Rode with Hubey, Revloc Dave, and a couple of guys from Illinois that day. Hubey can sure move that 650 pig through the rocks pretty damn fast. I think his red rock mover just chews through the rocks and spits 'em out of the way. Best not to follow too closely behind him.

Drummond was an absolute awesome experience though. I especially liked that one rock section, all 31 miles of it. And the "Killing Fields" was like an amusement park with all the surprises - HANG ON! Would love to go back for a weekend with the right suspension setup. The non-stop rocks beat the hell out of me on the KTM pogo stick. If it were not for the trees, I would have surely been bounced off the trail into, well, more rocks.

Rode the Revloc CRFX for about 30 minutes. With it's stock suspension and auto-clutch, the CRFX was like niverna in those conditions. The bike felt a little small, but it sure allowed you to fly through the rocks and stay planted. I now know what's possible.

I'm trying to write up a more detailed SDM report, but I've been busier than 1-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
And you missed the best trail on the island. We were gonna send ya's into it but decided not to at the last minute. When you come out onto Sheepranch at 21. Instead of heading down the road to 19 cross the road and dive back into the trail at 21. You will then know the true meaning of Hell. 20 to 21 and 21 to 24 has gotta be my 2 favorite sections of trail on the entire island. They are brutal. :yikes:

And yea the Hubastank's XR can and will destroy rocks. I have seen rocks split in half off of his skid plate. I dont know if that is a testiment to the XR's durability or just the extra mass that is in the saddle. :laugh:

Chris has never been one for finess. His solution to most situations is just more throttle. ;)

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
Drummond was an absolute awesome experience though. <snip> I'm trying to write up a more detailed SDM report, but I've been busier than 1-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest.

hey there bill,

i just posted my writeup for this year, replete with a couple of pics of you. click link below...

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=101720
or direct
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1266073

great riding with you. hope to see you (and your family) back in that mongo tent of yours next year. and the year after that,..

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Top Bottom