Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
I am getting ready to do my first mx race,and I was reading the rules for my district (district 5 MF)and it read that my bike must have a dead-man kill switch. Is this something other than my kill switch on my handlebars or something else I need to buy? I am racing on sunday :bang:
thanks
Joe

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Are you sure you were not looking at q u a d rules? Around here all racing couches must have a tether kill switch. I have never seen an MX bike with a tether kill switch and not sure I would want one. If you go down there is very slight chance the bike would run on and go into the crowd (unlike a motorized couch) and if you had it you would have to get it back in place and then trey to restart your bike

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
We used to have those for snowmobile racing. Makes sense with something that will continue to travel without falling down. Same thing on jet-ski's and kwads. On a bike? Never heard of it, a bike won't go too far before it falls down, and usually, the reason the rider left the bike was because of hitting the ground in the first place.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
oldguy said:
Are you sure you were not looking at q u a d rules? Around here all racing couches must have a tether kill switch. I have never seen an MX bike with a tether kill switch and not sure I would want one. If you go down there is very slight chance the bike would run on and go into the crowd (unlike a motorized couch) and if you had it you would have to get it back in place and then trey to restart your bike

When I raced motocross, 1/8th drags, and Hillclimbs, I was not allowed to compete unless I had a tether kill switch.

I'm not sure why more people don't use them...

I have wound up under my bike with the back tire on my helmet and I shudder to think what would have happened if the bike were stuck WOT

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Go find an old tether kill switch from any old thing, snowmobile, atv, watercraft, etc.

99% of the kill switches for these things (including MX bikes) are just 2 wires. When you press your MX killswitch down it connects the two wires, grounding the spark.

The tethered do the same thing but instead of having a spring holding them up (in the "open" position), they have a spring pushing them down (normally close).

Take your killswitch out and hook the 2 wires up to the 2 wires coming out of the tether killswitch. It doesn't matter what color, etc there is no wrong way to wire it up.

Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
Hey,Thanks for all your input.I just talked to a district 5 rep. over the phone and he said it must be a missprint. It is for the quads all I need is a kill switch.
thanks again
Joe

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
oldguy said:

Hahaha motorized couch! never thought of it that way. That's hilarious. Thanks now I can use that against the 4wheel riders.

Top Bottom