300wby

Dec 27, 2005
Hello everyone new member here and a total newbie.
I apologize in advance for any stupid questions! However please just keep in mind that there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. ;)

Anyways, I'm looking at getting into dirt biking. A buddy of mine who rides trail and does some racing on his Honda 250 2stroke advised me to get a 125 class machine to learn on. Well that sounded like good advice to me so I went that route while talking to a rep at the dealership. He showed me a yz125 and the Suzuki equivalent (forgot the name) but he also told me that the yz125 has very "explosive power” in a small power band that is difficult to learn and difficult to work with on trail rides. The rep said I may be better off with a wr250f since I'm learning and will be on trails probably more than tracks thinking that the power is more consistent and predictable with a 4 stroke. However maintenance is an issue for me since I'd be learning it all from scratch I'd like to go with the bike that's easiest to maintain if I can. Also I'm 6'1" 220lbs so is that in itself a problem for a 125 class?

I'm confused and don’t know what to think about the rep's advice. Should I look at a 125 or a 2 stroke 250 or a 4 stroke 250? I’m lost…

I really appreciate any advice you can throw my way!!

Looking forward to participating in the forums...
300wby

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
I am getting back into dirt riding myself after a 2 year hiatis road racing. I just bought a yz250 myself and have to say for learing it will be hard esspeically if all you are doing is trail riding. I learned on a wr400 years ago and would say it is a more tame bike. The wr250 will be even more tame that that. As far as a yz125 I would say if you want to trail ride and looking at a 125 go with the wr250f. I am not a proponent of 2 or 4 stroke....I used to ride 4t's and now on a 2t...they are all great and fun. But the wr series bike is a great woods/trail bike but NOT a MX bike. It's gearing and engine tuning is set up more for it but does weight more. I bought the yz250 because one I was helping a good friend and two I plan on riding both trails and MX a bit. So really decide your use first then the bike. Others might have better advice.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
As much as I don't like thumpers, I am inclined to agree. The way a 2-stroke delivers power can be very traumatic to the learning curve. You are plenty large enough fot a full size MXer, but since you are just starting out, you should get a 4stroke trail bike. You might even consider the TTR230. It is a very reliable bike, so maintenance wouldn't even be an issue. Then you could sell it in 6-12 months and get the bigger bike that you would rather have.

300wby

Dec 27, 2005
Ideally I'd like a bike that I can grow into skill wise as opposed to buying a pure beginner bike that I'd have to upgrade. Does my size put me out of the 125 class all together? As Sem66 mentioned in that other thread it seems like all the 125 riders are around 150lbs or so. Should my choice then be between a 2 or 4 stroke 250? Is the 'explosive power' the same with a 2 stroke 125 as it is with the 2 stroke 250?

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Save yourself some money and get a KDX200. I'm the same size as you, and it pulls me around with no problem. It's a 2 stroke, but with a much mellower powerband, almost like a 4 stroke. With the money you're saving, you can get the suspension tuned and a new pipe, and you'll have a bike that's funner than a WR250 with money still left in your pocket.

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
How they build power is the same. 2T's basically build power real fast and the the power drops off fast while a 4T has a more gradual smoother power band. This is what aids in learning. You can control the power more. They are not weaker just have to twist the wrist more to get that blast of power. And there is a BIG BIG BIG difference in power betweend the 2T 250 and 4T 250. 2T 250 has ALOT more power then then 4T 250. The wr/yz450 is equivalent to the 2T 250. As far as being to big...I can't answer you there. I doubt it, but don't know.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I started riding 5 months ago on a CR125 and loved it. But now I have a CRF250 and like it even more. It definitely delivers the power more smoothly and doesn't have to be so wound out to keep going. I'm 5'8" 160lbs though, quite a bit smaller than you. I'd see if you can test ride at a track or something a 250F and see if YOU think it pulls you enough. These bikes seem super easy to resale as a lot of ppl who race are transitioning over to them.

300wby

Dec 27, 2005
Thanks for the feedback fellas! This gives me a direction to move towards. I'm going to look deeper into the kdx200 that noenuftoys recommended. Just the little I've read so far about it makes it sound like a very promising choice. Anyways thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.
Please feel free to throw more advice at me....I can use all I can get.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Based on your size and weight a 125 class bike is not really in the cards for you. While it is easier to initially learn with more manageable power, assuming you've never ridden before, you are going to learn and continue to progress and as you do you will soon find out that the 125 is actually more difficult for you to ride because your size is robbing it of useable power that you will need. Additionally, 125 machines work best at high rpm which means they require more clutch work and finess to maintain the power, which is fine in a on track situation, but is not practical for trail riding. Often times in trail riding you are going to need a good solid bottom end hit to assit you in getting over obstacles and up steep hills, sometimes from a near stand still.You dont want to be worrying about feathering the clutch to apply and maintain power as your trying to haul your 6'1" 220 pound frame up a steep hill from a near stop. So I would not recommend the 125 two stroke for your size or the type of riding you are planning on doing.

As far as the 250f fourstroke is concerned, these bikes have slightly more base horsepower than their 125 2-stroke counterparts and there is more useable power in the low end, meaning you do not need to constantly feather the clutch and throttle to maintain peak horsepower while at low speeds. However, for the same reason as the 125 2-stroke I would not reccommend these bikes for you either, due to your size.

Also realize that if trail riding is what you plan on doing and you do not have any plans or desire to ride the track then you are probably better off with a trailbike as opposed to a motocross machine. The suspension and power delivery are geared for that discipline for a reason. Also, the power delivery on a trailbike is much more manageable than a motocross bike, making it easier for you to learn on, which seems to also be a concern for you. In any event I would recommend a 200cc 2-stroke or above, or a 400cc or above 4-stroke for your size. You will pick it up quick and as your skills improve you will be glad you chose the bigger bike and wont have to wish you had a little more power.

I agree completely with notenuftoys when he says save yourself some money and get a KDX 200. I own a 97 KDX200 which I use for trail riding and I use my MX bike at the track. This bike is an excellent bike to learn on as a beginner and still packs enough punch to haul you around at your size, and be fun as your skills improve. The KDX 200 has been one of the best selling trailbikes for over 15 years due to this as well as the fact that they are extremely durable. Many owners have reported that they have gotten as many as 10,000 trail miles or more on the original piston without a single engine re-build, and since maintenance seems to be an issue for you as well this is an obvious choice. For an idea, I bought my KDX 200 new in 97 and have ridden it hard and it has countless hours on it, yet to this day it has never been in for any major engine or transmission work. It is a great depenable bike and you cant beat the quality you get for the price.

300wby

Dec 27, 2005
Great feedback 'JST122', thanks man.
Well I went to a different dealer and this guy spent a good 45 minutes talking me through things and answering all my dumb questions.
My plan now is to buy a KDX220R.
All indications are the bike is right up my alley. Props to 'notenuftoys' for recommending the bike to me in the first place.
New question: How does 4.4k+tax out the door sound for a 2005 KDX220R? It sounds fairly reasonable to me. At the start I was hoping to get a bike and gear and stay under 5k but as I've learned its probably going to be closer to 5.5k to 6k.
What do you fellas think of my decision?

Thx,

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
300, I think the KDX 220 is a great bike for you. Good decision and you will not regret it. I tried to look up a 2006 KDX220 on the Kawi website but it looks like they are only making a 200 in 06, not sure why. Anyway, I am pretty sure that the MSRP in 05 for a 220 was 4400 or close to it so it looks like the deal you are getting is basically the sticker price plus tax. Not a bad deal, but you have a little bit of bargaining power in that it is an 05 and 06 bikes are already out on the dealer floors so you know they want to sell off the 05's. I would go check the prices at a couple other dealers if they still have 05 220's there. I think you can do a little better. From my experience buying in Connecticut, I have found that most dealers are willing to sell for MSRP out the door (with a little haggling of course). I bought my last 2 bikes for MSRP OTD and my first bike was a new '91 that I bought in the summer of '92 like the one you are talking about so I got it for about 500 less than MSRP during the following summer. So the dealers factored the tax out of my OTD price. I dont know what other people's experience is or how things work in Colorado, but that has been my experience. I would shoot for 4.4 or 4.5 out the door. I think you can get it for that especially since they will want to unload it now that it is an 05. Then you may still be able to stay under or at your goal of 5K total. Let me know how it works out for you.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
300wby, I'm south of you in NM and have a KDX200 that I'm considering selling. As you can see, I have the 125, too, and I fully agree with the KDX200 as a GREAT all-around bike.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
KDX200..........good learner bike, stone reliable, proven, easy maintainance, MANY aftermarket goodies to make it faster as your experience grows.

dirtrocks

Jul 7, 2005
well i think its a good thing i clicked on this topic. im kinda like 300 i was looking at a 125 for trail riding, and being i had no expirerence i though less cc was better. now i think the kdx 200 looks 10x better plus its cheaper

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Glad to see some more KDX converts. I think it's the best bike for folks getting into trail riding again, or for the first time.

Check out Canadian Dave's section of DRN. There's a lot of knowledge there, and folks are willing to answer simple questions. At least they did for me.

Jul 25, 2005
kdx 220 all the way. i went to pick up some parts the other day and the last kdx220 was there, i think that it said 4449. but the guy told me that they would have to let it go because they aren't making them anymore. no reason for stopping but the whole 4 stroke thing is coming and deleting 4 strokes. but i love mine and it is the best all around bike. good suspension woods wise, but not track wise, guess thats why i got a trail bike. you can do the normal mods to it. pipe, reeds etc...
but anyway you could probably pick a brand spankin new one for around 4 grand, and you will not be dissapointed with your choice. trust me.

Sub

Nov 19, 2004
sounds like it will be a good bike for you, i'm sure you can get the price down a bit form there as well. I just bought a ktm 200xc and it is the most fun I've had on a dirt bike. The ktm 200 is more of a race bike compared to the kdx though. I think that for your size the 125 class bikes are to small, but it is hard to generalize what bike is best for everyone starting out. If you have any relative experience, like street bikes, mountain biking etc then I think you pick up dirt bikes quickly. If your totally new to 2 wheels, the you have to be more careful. My first bike was my 250sx, I didn't have much trouble learning but I did flip it going up some hills due to it's explosive hit. good luck picking up the kdx.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom