Xyzzy

Apr 15, 2002
I hope this is the right forum... :)

I went out this week to buy a minibike for my son... I've never purchased a new motorcycle before, but I have purchased a few cars before so I am assuming the thought process is the same...

I'm confused about the additional charges the dealers want to slap me with... For example, on a Honda 50, I'm getting quoted $78 for "freight" and $87 "assembly" and $95 for "documentation"...

I understand that I have to pay sales tax, so I'm cool with that, but the idea of paying almost $1550 for a Honda 50 seems a bit crazy when the MSRP is $1099...

If the bike costed $9K these fees would be more in line and would only be 2-3% of the total cost, but on a $1100 minibike it adds up to 20% or more... And this is money I will never recover when I eventually sell the bike...

I'm even surprised the dealers are asking for full MSRP... Maybe they just see me coming and figure I am a newbie or something...

I know when I go buy a car, even if I walk out of there under MSRP the dealer still makes enough money... Is it the same here?

As for assembly, give me a break... Sell it to me in the crate for Pete's sake...

I ordinarily buy used, but for this bike I'd like it to be new...

If I walk into a dealer with enough CASH to pay the MSRP and tax, do you think I have a chance of getting the bike or am I just wasting my time?

It really isn't about not being able to afford it, because I can... It is about feeling like I'm getting taken to the cleaners...

Thanks!

Mike (Xyzzy)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
And it will really get your goat when you find out that the dealers are reimbursed by the manufacture for those fees so they are "double dipping"!! Another one is the "free parts issue". I personally know some guys who crossed the Canadian border and bought CRF450's in the crate from the other side of the line. When they opened the crates once back here in Michigan they found a COMPLETE topend rebuild kit (over $700 worth of parts) included with each bike. They saved $2000 on the bike and got $700 worth of parts to boot! Apparently it is "customary" for our U.S. dealers to remove the "goodies" for resale here in the U.S.. Of course there is now a MAJOR controversy in the industry about allowing us to cross the border for such purchases! Dealers for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ski-Doo (if a Ski-doo dealer finds out that a Canadian dealer is selling abroad the Cad dealer can loose his frangise - FREE TRADE :) ) all are dealing VERY heavy handed about this!! To answer your question, I would call Chicago Cycle and get a quote from them, have them fax it to you, take it to your dealer and ask them to match prices - THEY WONT, but at least you let them know you arent STUPID!!!

Xyzzy

Apr 15, 2002
I found a few other posts here that had some tips...

I went in this morning with $1200 in cash... I figured that would cover the MSRP and the tax... As soon as the guy saw I was buying today he got right down to working a deal... I told him the bike (KDX50) was worth $1200 to me out the door... They did work up a invoice for $1250, but I purposely only brought $1200 so there was no way for me to cave in (I don't do credit cards)...

Anyways, we got out of there for $1200... I'm sure a more experienced purchaser could have done it for cheaper, but I was happy with $1200... It was certainly cheaper than the $1450 or so they had quoted me over the phone the night before...

A picture: http://www.teamprimerib.com/jpg/kdx_50.jpg

Mike (Xyzzy)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Most excellent! I sold cars for a few years just to get an education. Glad to hear you got the deal you wanted.

Nice shade of green as well!

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
When I bought my bike I called every dealer that I could drive to, about 12 in all, The last one I called said they'd sell me a '03 kdx 220 for $4100 out the door, $300 lower thatn MSRP. It told him to write it up and I wan on my way, I could have easily ended up paying $5000 for the thing if I didn't call arround. Some dealerships were charging $100 extra in fees and others were $500....... It's all about finding someone who isn't gonna Bs and snowball you.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
I just got a 04 CRF450R a couple of weeks ago and we have 3 Honda guys in the area. I got $200 off retail out the door at the place I got mine from an got quotes as much as $1000 over retail by the time you add all the bull**** charges. It seems most cycle dealers charge these fees but if you shop around you can avoid it. I' of the impression that must of us just want a fair price and to pay $300 or $500 over MSRP is crazy!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I think this should be a wake up call to dealerships, I went threw a motorcycle broker and got a '04 KX 125 I saved at least a $1000. Whenever I do buy another new bike it will be threw a broker again, I'm done with dealerships as far as buying new bikes. Especially after getting the bike in a create, thier setup fee is bogus! I like to know where some dealerships get off trying to charge you documentation fees. I figure that's just part of doing business don't pass your overhead off on me.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I went threw north american motorcycle brokers outta B.C. but they don't do anything smaller than 125's. Generationmx.com is outta Illionos and saveoncycles.com outta nevada. They can only deal in larger size bikes, I can't remember exactly why some sorta claus or something on mini's.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by MXP1MP
I think this should be a wake up call to dealerships, I went threw a motorcycle broker and got a '04 KX 125 I saved at least a $1000. Whenever I do buy another new bike it will be threw a broker again, I'm done with dealerships as far as buying new bikes. Especially after getting the bike in a create, thier setup fee is bogus! I like to know where some dealerships get off trying to charge you documentation fees. I figure that's just part of doing business don't pass your overhead off on me.
Wright on bro! Who the hell does the deeler think they are tring to run a bussinsess! We all need too stand up for are rites and not let them #@$! theivin' dealers steal our money any moore.

I'm takin' the monie I saved going throw a broker and bought a dictionairy. Wat did you do the all the money you saveed?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
No, Smit, WRONG! He's exercising his rights as a CONSUMER to shop around for the best price and thumbing his nose at those "businesses" that think they can do whatever they want to their prices because some people aren't smart enough to go ELSEWHERE!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
jboomer - I fully understand and support the concept of an educated consumer who appreciates price and value. MXP1MP just didn't come across as one in his post.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Why are all of the wholesale brokers prices up so much from last year.???

Is it the time of the year, and prices will fall after december ???

It just seems that all of the 2003 model 250's were about $4700 delivered and now they are near $5500.

Is it the exchange rate or are have they established a market and now are trying to boost profits ???

see ya

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Greaser: I am POSITIVE it is in the exchange rate!! You will see the prices change again as the rate gets wider.... That is unless producers step in and "level" the field!

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Thanks woodsy,
I have an 03 CRF, and it is a bada$$ ride, but during the racing season , I have had at least 3 blunders...where I stalled it , and it refused to start for 2-3 minutes. And several other dead engine start races , where I did a 3-6 kick start. Any how I am searching for some good deals on 2 strokes like they had about 10 months ago !!!! And get rid of the CRF.
It looks like I am going to finish the season in 6th or 7th , which is just out of the award zone. Without those starting issues, I would be tugging it out for 3rd !!!!

see ya

Top Bottom