theDogger

Mar 11, 2006
Just wondering....is buying a new bike the same as buying a new car. What I mean is you have the sticker price on the car say for $10,000.00 but the dealer invoice is $7500.00 if you are smart you know that even if you get the car for $500.00 over invoice you got a good deal even though the fleet manager crys that his is giving you the car and they are making nothing of this deal....bull#@! because there are dealer incentives and hold backs from the car manufacture. So the little $500.00 that he made off you turns out to be $3k after he gets his hold back and bouns from the manufacture.

So have said all that and my recent trips to the motor cycle dealers and listing to them tell me that the MSRP of $6800 for a new 06 YZ450f is the bottom line becasue they will not make anything on the bike to me is Bull#@!!
I went to a local Yamaha dealer and offered in cash and even showed the salesmen $6500.00 in cash for the 06 out the door and he refushed it. What are the guide lines that motorcycles are delt under. I know that they have to be the same as a car deal other wise they would not be in business

Any help would be great.

theDogger

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I used to sell cars for a Chrysler dealership and you are pretty accurate as far as the $$ there - although I would personally force them to show me the invoice and offer them $200 over. ;) Or I would walk to another dealer. They've got so many kickbacks, it's not funny. As to used cars, the markup on anything $10,000 or over was typically $4000.00

Anyway, one of the guys I sold with is now at the local Honda/Yamaha dealer. He knows I'm not buying anything anytime soon, and thus, I don't think he's lying to me.

He sells for $25 commission per bike/ATV. He does get small checks (i.e. $50+/-) from Honda/Yamaha for each sale, but the $25 is what he gets from the dealer. He tells me that markup is a much smaller percentage than in the car business.

Thus, they refused your cash. All you can do is go to another dealer or pony up.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Just like cars, they will sell it for what they can get for it. If they are desperate to sell it, they will be more likely to deal, which is why new non-current bikes, like at the end of the year when the new ones are coming out often have really good prices to move them. If they aren't as desperate, and there is enough demand, they will sit on it. I'm not really surpised you were refused in trying to get a lower price. There are enough guys who will walk in and pay what they've got on it and not quibble over trying to get a lower price. They obviously aren't desperate, and are willing to sit on it and wait for someone who isn't trying to get himself a better deal. Even with any incentives from the manufacturer, they stand to make more if they can sell it for more, hence your trying to work yourself a deal, isn't in their best interest, and they aren't desperate enough to move anything to be interested.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please do not cross post.

theDogger

Mar 11, 2006
Let me ask this is there a website such as www.autos.msn.com/

That give the down low on the motocycle dealers? I really would like to know what they pay for them...or invoice at...make for a better argument.

Are there still dealers that will ship bike to you. When I was younger we use to order bikes from DGY(and no I have not called them yet)

Sorry about the x-post...was not sure where to post this..

theDogger

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Dealers don't make much on dirt bikes. Moreover, they know you aren't coming back for service so they treat it as a single transaction.

Tough time of year to try to cut a deal on a dirt bike, especially one that's hot in the market, as the new YZ-F's are. If you are looking for a deal, wait until mid-summer. If you are looking for a new bike now, be prepared to part with your cash.

Top Bottom