freshplaster

Nov 14, 2006
First Who I am. I am a canuck in mid life crisis feeling the need for broken bones HAHA. I am 6'3" about 230-240lbs. I still play sports ie ice hockey,& mountain bike etc so I'm not in bad shape. I'm looking for a a bike to run the track 30% of the time and the bush the rest, no serious racing. I Ride pretty hard and am looking to feel the wind under my tires so to speak. I also just like to ride and would like a kick stand and lights. Our forestry cops up here want you to have lights and your bike must follow the new noise regs some where around 96 decibels. I have children of my own that I need to help when we trail ride and a kick stand would be easier for me.
I have recently been able to try suzuki's 06 RMZ450 (not broke in) and 03 RM 250 2 stroke. I liked the 250 better as it was a little more predictable and nimble in the bush ( I didn't try either on the track.). I have been told about and looked at the 250 and 300 KTM wide ratio enduro models. They are pricey!!!. Up here new for 07 $8600.00 - $9400.00 canadian. I also have quads so the bike is just a toy for DAD.

I want to spend upto $6000 but only if I have to. KTM's used are usually more than this, (or wrecked) and are few and far between.
As I see it here are my options:
Buy a used yamaha YZ, Kawasaki KX or suzuki RM and try and set it up to run the bush ie sprocket, new quieter pipe and maybe a flywheel???.
this could be the least expensive method but I am not sure which pipe to get and how long the new motox engines last under this style of use. And which bike lends it self best to this type of riding. (I have a light from racing mountain bikes at night).

Step up and buy a newer enduro KTM or yamaha WR (Really the only choices but then the yamy is a 4 stroke and is not as easy to work on) and blow my budget and sacrifice the harassment I will get at the track.

I am still looking at a 250 or 300 KTM but I need to know how the KTM 250 stacks up against the KTM300 and the Japanese models for a guy my size.

Am I just not going to be happy unless I buy the 300????. It's alot to look at. THANX inadvance Plaster.

Top Bottom