Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I put a new Dunlop D756 100/19/19 on my bike the first week of June. Three weeks ago at a Saturday night race the back end felt funny in practice. It looked like the tire had a bulge and had slipped and broke the bead loose in one spot. I let the air out and reset the bead on the rim. I have rode twice since this race, the last time the back end felt funny again. After getting home, I saw that the bulge was back so I took the tire off the bike this time to remove the tire from the rim to set it. After getting the first couple of bites of the bead over the rim, I and a very hard time going either way to complete the removal. Before anyone ask, yes I was on the other side of the rim lock. After about, will lets say I've used my quota of swear words for the month. I see cords from the tire. After finally removing the tire. I see that the cords had pulled through the inner edge of the tire. Not the bead area, but the inner edge of the tire. I've been mounting tires for years like most of us and have never seen or heard of this. I took the tire to my local shop. There first question is who mounted it. Right there I see there not willing to do anything. But, they do offer to call Dunlop. The shop was busy so I left my name and asked them to call me when the got a reply from Dunlop. Since I wasn't there during the phone conversation, I'm unsure if the parts guy described where the cords came out at. Dunlop says they will not do anything.

So, has anyone seen this before? I'm I being unrealistic thinking this is a manufacture defect and that Dunlop should replace the tire?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think they owe you a new tire.

Is it possible you broke the bead yourself? I did this on a Dunlop 756 I was removing. I grabbed the meanest tire I ron I cound find. There was a big "POP" sound and the bead let go.

I did not care because the tire was being replaced anyway. I wanted to find out how difficult this was to do so I would not break my new tire.

I would cal Dunlop. Be very nice, but firm. Explain to them that the Brigestone tires are looking better all the time.

I have always had more success with the phone calls like this when I can ask for someone specific. Even if it is the custodian. Telling your story to the receptionist does no good. You need to get throught to someone that normally does not deal with phone calls.

I think Broc Glover worked there. Ask for him. Tell the receptionist your his father that dissappeared 20 years ago in a boating accident. This might work.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Rcannon said:
Is it possible you broke the bead yourself?

I don't believe so. I rode on this tire for over 2 months with no problems before discovering the bulge. The tire was hard to remove due to the cords dropping down into the rim, making the tire tighter to the rim. I do have a few marks on the bead from the tire irons, but nothing that caused the cords to come out the edge of the tire. Good idea about the phone call. I was going to send a e-mail with pictures to Dunlop, but your right about talking to a real live person that has the power to make a decision. Then again, I may try the I'm Broc Glovers lost father... :laugh:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Don't tell Dunlop you rode on it for over 2 months. They'd tell ya to take a flying leap!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Before anyone ask, yes I was on the other side of the rim lock

actually I start with the rim lock first when dismountin and deal with it last when remounting. This allows the tire to drop into the hollow depression of the rim further.

It is doubtful that a retailer is going to be able to get that warranteed for you, it is going to be a hard case to sell with ANY bead damage from the tire irons.

Top Bottom