farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Sold my 2000 KDX 200 with fmf gnarly, pro circuit spark arrestor, air box lid removed, jetted, .39 kg XR 400 fork springs, revloc auto clutch, o-ring chain, mx rear fender, gripper seat cover, and new fork boots. I put a decent amount of money into it and just wasn’t getting the return on performance that I wanted. I decided to put it up for sale just to see what would happen. Someone local gave me my asking price, so it was time to upgrade.

I purchased a brand new 03 KTM SX 200 for about the same price as a new KDX, how could I go wrong. Here is a quick comparison to the KDX:

Engine: Imagine a 125 chassis with a 200cc, 6 speed engine. The orange bike completely rips, it is actually faster in a drag race then the awesome 03 KTM 250 SX. My KDX had slightly better bottom end power than the SX 200, but that is about it. The mid range-top on the SX is amazing, but the low end is still very manageable for tight trail riding. I have yet to even adjust the air screw.

Suspension: The KTM ride is not as plush as the KDX over roots and rocks. I was able to tune in more compliance and will have to see how the KTM suspension breaks in. The KDX suspension would object when pushed too hard, the KTM however shines in this area. The bottom line is, the more aggressive you ride the KTM the better the suspension works.

Handling: The KDX could cut under the KTM any day. The KTM required that the CDI be relocated and radiators moved out for a tighter turning radius. The turning is actually very good now. The KTM is lighter and feels it, much easier to throw around.

Stability: I have never been able to ride ruts as well as I can on the KTM. I am also hoping over 18-24” diameter logs that used to give the KDX fits. In rough chop when you are tired, the KTM can shake it head just like the KDX.

Brakes: The brembo brakes are by far the strongest brakes I have ever used, nose wheelies can be done at will.

Comfort and fit: The KTM seat is like riding on a 4x4 post. I think I’m either getting used to it or just standing more. Nothing can compare to the KDX couch seat. The 4 position handle bars clamps on the SX 200 and adjustable levers gave me the perfect reach.

Amenities: The hydraulic clutch, Renthal fat bars, Excel rims and oversized spokes are all enhancements over the KDX. The briefcase containing tool kit, chassis, engine, and suspension manuals is a nice touch.

Durability: I will have to see with the KTM. The KDX has proven that it is tough to beat.

Top Bottom