Dented Pipe fixing tools / info

Shontsy

Mar 25, 2004
I saw a post somewhere that a guy on ebay was selling dented pipe fixing tools for about $100. Does anyone know who that is and how I can reach him? The ebay thread address has expired, and I can't find this on ebay or ebay motors under any search I have tried which was everything I could think of.

Also, does anyone have experience with the information or tools offered by pipeworks.homestead.com? Any comments on the quality of the information you get for $5?

If all it says is the following, I don't want it. It's a rehash of the Dirt Bike article.
Plug ends of pipe.
Fill with compressed air, 70psi nominal, 90psi max.
Heat dent with torch to raise dent.
Polish to remove blueing.

Has anyone purchased their tools? What do you get for $35 that includes an air hose? I imagine it must be rubber expansion plugs.

Thanks for the help

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
That sounds like a Rescue 911 episode just waiting to happen. No reason giving your life for a pipe. $50 seems like good alternative.

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
wibby said:
Send your pipe to Pacific Pipe Repair (www.piperepair.com)

For $50 it will come back almost good as new!

Hit the DIRT! she's gonna blow!

That would be an advantage of living in the same country as Pacific Pipe Repair :) But after paying the exchange rate, possibly duty, shipping charges and brokerage fees it seems more logical to fix the pipe at home, at least for me :whiner:

I don't actually reccomend the procedure, but I have done it in the past and will do it again. I use 40 psi max which I dial up on a seperate regulator, and I make sure that both 'plugs' are safety tied with decent wire. To get the air in I have an air fitting on one plug. If you are using propane you will need to concentrate in one area for a while, with oxy/acet you won't require much heat.

My advice would be send it away, don't do it at home... :ohmy:

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Sounds like a rip-off at $100US. I had my pipe repaired for $25US. My mechanic used the same technic (plug ends + torch). I agree with others, let the pros do it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Houndog said:
That would be an advantage of living in the same country as Pacific Pipe Repair :)

It's even better when it is a 30 minute drive from here!

I'd rather let someone else blow-up my pipe, than do it myself, that way it's coming out of their BEER money!

If you are using propane....

PROPANE? :eek:

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
wibby said:
PROPANE? :eek:

Yup, a small propane torch (handheld) is enough heat to get dents out that are not near the seams. More heat is required for the 'stiffer' dings.

I'm a bit envious, you live that close to a pipe repair facility and CC???? That's just not fair :)

Hey Wibby, I just noticed your Sig. Did a little bird make you say that? :joke:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Oh, NOW I get it!

Think my brain is still a lil SOGGY
(I had just woke up)

Thought you were gonna use propane instead of compressed air! :clue:

Did a little bird make you say that?

yeah, a little P.I.T.A. bird!

:laugh:

Top Bottom