mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have heard the best way to get a dent out of a fmf pipe is to plug the one end and then pressurize it via a air compressor....popping it out. Is this true? How does one pop out dents.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
If you want to do it you have to heat the area also. I recommend sending it off though. They come back still looking great and I feel a lot safer, all for 40 bucks

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I've arc'd a weling rod to the center of the dent causing it to stick and then pulled the dent out. Still probably wortht he $40 to get it fixed like new. After reading Motocross Action Mag's test the little dents in my pipe are probably adding .2hp--WOOHOO! Once I smash it real good I'll send it out...

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Yea, my friends dad used a torch to fix my pipe many years ago. It was laying in the driveway with him torching away at it when it went off. Made a loud cannon noise and blew a flame about six feet out the end. Luckily it didn't cause any damage but it gave us all a good scare.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Where in the world does carbon explode? I don't think it does here.. Isn't carbon what's left after the combustion process is over?

My FMF pipe has lots of dings in it, don't worry about them.

Jon!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah...what in the world would a 2-smoke exhaust pipe be doing with ANY 'live' hydrocarbons in it!!??;)

It's not strictly speaking the carbon that's the issue. It's the other stuff that's soaked up in there...like gas and oil!

Imagine 'chodes' story with the ends of that pipe clamped shut!!

Someone coulda got kilt!!

.....he bein' scot...or not!!

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Ahh, I see..

I'd guess that in my pipe everything is burned up.. I abuse the heck out of my KDX.. And it keeps coming back for more.

Jon!

mighty moose

Nov 10, 2001
I had big dent in my Fatty pipe - drilled hole in opposite side, heated up dent a bit, slid piece of round steel stock through hole and banged out the dent - then welded hole seal - that was 1 year ago and runs great. However, had I known about the $40 fix option, I'd probably have done that and thrown my stock pipe on while I waited... would have made me appreciate my Fatty (esp. the extra 5 hp and several lbs lighter).

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Plug both ends, add about 5-10 psi, heat the dent with a torch.

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
About once a year a group of us purposely burn the carbon out of our pipes. Brings back the performance of the pipe to get the carbon out of it.
Take a torch on one end and a home made venturi on the other to draw the heat through the pipe and you know when it is hot enough to burn the carbon out because it will smoke like you wouldnt beleive for quite a while and than it is cleaned out for another year.
If you have never tried it and you have been riding on the same pipe for a while I would highly recommend doing it. You would be amazed how much better your pipe will be again.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I recently removed a dent from my Fatty Pipe. I went ridin' in the rocks and had SEVERAL nasty spills. The dent was substantial, but came out beautifully.

We cut an old tube and wrapped one end with 4 sheets of the tube doubled over. We then put 2 clamps on it uber tight. My friend had made a valve-stem contraption that we shoved down the small hole and clamped it tight. We then heated the pipe up and put around 20-25 psi in it, and to my amazement, the whole dent pooped out. It took several tries, but it all came out. The discoloration was minimal, but you can still tell it was done. I was satisfied with the outcome. :thumb:

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
:) Good idea! Can you describe your "homeade venturi deivce?" I'm sitting here envisioning something that would probably work....

Top Bottom