BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
What is the best, easiest, cheapest (whatever) way to fix a dented pipe?

Currently own a FMF Gnarly

Thanks
BPJNT

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
I have never tried myself this:

take pipe off of the bike and fill with water (I am not sure if he caps the ends but don't fill all the way to allow for expansion)
put it into a deep freeze and the water turning into ice will expand and pop out the dent.

I knew this guy who swore by this technique...

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
The pipe on my kdx is old and ratty lookin'. So when I wacked another dent into it I said screw the cosmetics, I driled a few sheet metal screws into it and used a automotive slide hammer dent puller. Then mig welded the holes ground and filed it then painted it with high heat flat black spray paint. From 10 feet away it looks better than before up close I don't think it looks any worse than it did before.
I wouldn't go this route on a " nice looking" pipe, but for something old the repair cost was right.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
kdx200chick said:
I have never tried myself this:

take pipe off of the bike and fill with water (I am not sure if he caps the ends but don't fill all the way to allow for expansion)
put it into a deep freeze and the water turning into ice will expand and pop out the dent.

I knew this guy who swore by this technique...

I realize that this thread is pretty old but i just found it and I must say, this idea just might work, I might have to try it.

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Ok now just think about this one before you try it and ruin your pipe.

- Water to ice has an expansion ratio of about 10%.

- Water does not know "the where" it needs to expand to pop out the dent or dents.

- Water to ice will create a termendous force internally on your pipe's internals provided you fully fill the pipe up with water with no air spaces.

- The pressure will expand the pipe to the breaking point based upon the largest component unit area other things being equal. i.e. thickness of cones, uniformity/quality of welds.

Bottom Line - If you fill up the pipe completely and seal both ends tightly and freeze the pipe solidly it will pop the pipe somewhere - likely adjacent to or the seam on the largest cone making up the pipe.

P.S. Not trying to become a new flame for you guys but just trying to save a few pipes.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
Idaho Charley said:
Ok now just think about this one before you try it and ruin your pipe.

- Water to ice has an expansion ratio of about 10%.

- Water does not know "the where" it needs to expand to pop out the dent or dents.

- Water to ice will create a termendous force internally on your pipe's internals provided you fully fill the pipe up with water with no air spaces.

- The pressure will expand the pipe to the breaking point based upon the largest component unit area other things being equal. i.e. thickness of cones, uniformity/quality of welds.

Bottom Line - If you fill up the pipe completely and seal both ends tightly and freeze the pipe solidly it will pop the pipe somewhere - likely adjacent to or the seam on the largest cone making up the pipe.

P.S. Not trying to become a new flame for you guys but just trying to save a few pipes.

Yea, those were my thoughts too, but if your pipe is so damaged that you can't fix it on your own i'd say what the hell and give it a shot. Anyways I was able to fix mine up pretty well with the drilling a hole and pounding the dent out deal so I guess I wont be trying it.

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Drilling holes and tapping the dentouts from the opposite side then rewelding the holes shut should work. There is a how-to article somewhere on this. If someone is interested I could likely find it.

Drilling holes in the dent and using a puller to pull out the dent does work. Then weld the holes shut. We used this method in the early 70's when we dented pipes.

Pressurizing the pipe with air or an inert gas and heating the dent appropriately while under pressure does work. I've used this method many times: There may be some safety risks with doing it this way if you don't work with metal routinely or are not mechically inclined.

Spot welding of pull tabs on pipe combined with some appropriate heating of the dent and then using pliers to pull on the tabs will work. You grind down/off the pull tabs when your done. Ends up looking very similiar to the drilling holes and using a puller method of removing dents. i.e. Not real pretty but functional. More work than drilling holes and pulling out with screw slide hammer in my opinion.

Sending the pipe to a well known pipe repair shop works 99.9% of the time plus the pipe normally looks pretty and will properly fit your bike again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom