DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Hey KDXMANN: I have a couple of pics that I found on some site showing how to do what you want. It involves fabricating a plug on each end and shows use of the torch. You'll need access to a machinist, but once it's made, it'll be usefull forever. I can't find the tutorial that went with it, but the pics tell the story. If you want, post your e-mail address and I'll send 'em.
DVO

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
kdsmann, where do you live? The shop I use (RRP Cycle-Stuff in Stewartsville NJ) charges $20 to fix a dent in a pipe. If you don't live by me I'd suggest calling one of the race shops in your area. Dealers rarely will straighten a pipe because they want to sell you a new one. Independent race shops usually provide this type of service.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Guys who know:

Will using a torch on my pipe discolor the metal? When the "pros" do it, do the pipes come back without looking "torched" :flame: ?

(note: flame added only for visual effect!)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Commonly the pipe is heated at the dent once it's under pressure.

Pipes usually have carbon buildup (not to mention likely some oil soaking going on) inside.

So...seal it up, heat it up..............BLOW it up.

Evidencing no understanding of the use of an expansion plug to seal the pipe, said user is looking to hurt his self.

Forewarned is forearmed.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Is it true that the dent doesn't hurt a thing unless it's within the first 6 inches?

Mine came predented ;)

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
i live in massachsetts and nobody around me will take it out. the dent is located right on the procirciut emble so it wont effect preformance. well anyways in leavin it the way it is because im still gettin used to the bike and how powerful it is.do u think it is as powerful as a ktm 200exc i read in rev magazine that the kdx200 is the slowest but with a few mods its a beast

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've never understood the 'first 6"' part. I've heard it before. Doesn't make sense to me.

The con-/diverging cone configuration is what determines the reflection dynamic of the pipe...the scavenging and 'supercharging' effect. How a dent in the middle could have 'no effect' is beyond me.

...but, that wouldn't be the first thing that ever was!

btw, I'm not saying length of the headpipe has no effect. What are torque rings for? ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom