Devol Radiator Guard Mounting

eram310

Mar 28, 2006
I just installed Devols radiator guard on my KDX and in order to put back the plastic covers that go over the radiator and the guards I had to trim the inside of the plastics on both sides. Was it necessary? and if yes, why doesn't Devol make the guards fit in a way that the plastics don't need to be cut?
These guards are specially made for KDX.

Thanks,

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
If you are refering to the white plastic louvers (factory guards), I believe those are to be left off. My experience is that the Devols are great guards but., restrict the air flow a bit. By adding the stock guards you just increase the resriction. The stock guards are needed. Besides, why cover up the cool looking Devols?

eram310

Mar 28, 2006
No, I didn't put back the white plastic factory guards. I ment the side green and white with the KDX label covers. They just didn't fit, because the guards stick out about half an inch wider then the radiator itself on each side.

syar

Nov 21, 2005
Yes, you are correct in that the green shroud guards need to be trimmed. I just used a dremmel cutting wheel to remove the necessary plastic.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
eram310 said:
I just installed Devols radiator guard on my KDX and in order to put back the plastic covers that go over the radiator and the guards I had to trim the inside of the plastics on both sides. Was it necessary? and if yes, why doesn't Devol make the guards fit in a way that the plastics don't need to be cut?
These guards are specially made for KDX.

Thanks,
I had to cut mine tooo. No big deal

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
Leave the louvres off,
Trimming a bit of plastic to have the best gaurds, no big deal. I ride tight trails, weigh 225 pounds and use Kawachem coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water, never had a overheating problem.
Washing the bike the other day, noticed the steel mounting the top right radiator was squashed flat!
No damage to the Devol guard or the radiator. The Devols work.

Top Bottom